Random restarts with no warnings

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello Unraid Community!

My server keeps randomly rebooting at random times, it happened a few weeks back ensured everything was up to date as when it rebooted it kept killing plex config xml which required a rebuild of the docker.

Since then it was running 24/7 for around 3 weeks with no issues from what i could tell but it has restarted twice today one at 5am and then again around 11am (08/01/2023) 

When it happened first time memtest was ran for 8 hours, had no errors
Bios is up to date and tried restoring default 
Tested psu and tried another one still rebooted
Tested different ram still reboots
Disabled all vms so they are not running, removed dockers that are no longer used and cleaned the app data

I've attatched the diagnostics file and syslog, enabled syslog after the first rebooting ocurred but cant see the cause to the reboots

Seems silly but i do have a wifi plug to monitor power usage but fail to see how this would cause it to reboot at all 

Im hopeing the more knowledgable people would be able to point in the direction of the faults

tower-diagnostics-20230108-1234.zip syslog-192.168.200.137.log

Edited by kikkawa
Missed information added

Hi JorgeB,

Thank you for taking a look at the logs for me and confirming my thoughts of cant find anything that indicates the reboot

I've had the system running on a single 8GB stick overnight, its finishing a parity check before i play around it more
I beleive one of the 8 8Gb sticks could have a fault that wasnt picked up by memtest, as so far it seems to be stable just with high ram usage! 

Ill add a second stick later on and look at replacing them as well 

• Like 1

Memtest does seem very broad and looks at the whole, says yeah everything looks good. 

Maybe if you ran each stick with memtest on an indivual basis (would take a long time) it *might* show some errors but for the sake of a few power downs and some clicking ram in, its eaiser to swap hardware

You've been fantastic thank you! 

On 1/9/2023 at 2:41 PM, itimpi said:

That is always possible.   Passing memtest is not always a definitive indication that there is no RAM issue (whereas a failure is always an issue).

I can confirm i found 2 sticks of RAM that would not POST when they were installed solo on the system, these have been replaced and the system has been online for 2.5 days so far with no issues

Thank you for you help itimpi!

• Like 1