Boot fail - sometimes

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi All,

My first time posting so I'd like to start by saying thanks for the software - it's exactly what I've been looking for and I've learnt so much getting it up and running using numerous articles from here. I now have my unraid server performing automatic backups for my hybrid windows and linux environment plus many other things.

This morning however I woke to find all my backups had failed. Further investigation showed my server was totally unresponsive. I rebooted and it failed to come up - it sat at the unraid boot options, appeared to try and boot but seemed to fail at loading /bzroot and then quickly returned to the boot options screen. Eventually I rebooted again and selected safe mode with gui from the boot screen and this time it came up no problem. I was able to start the raid successfully and the dockers also started. So I shut everything down properly and rebooted once more and this time it booted properly again in normal mode. Since then, I have rebooted again and it has again failed to boot, but I managed to capture the error as shown in screenshot but summarised to 

cannot open root device - please append a correct root = boot option

I am hoping someone can confirm that this is simply a failing USB boot drive and I can just replace it and restore my latest backup, but before I try that, I thought I would ask.

Any help would be great - Thanks in advance

Paul

Capture.PNG

Just in case anyone else discovers this thread - recreating the USB worked fine, but what I didn't realise was that my Unraid server had not connected to my domain after the USB change as the domain account password doesn't seem to be saved. So, just a heads up that you need to reenter the domain user password to rejoin the domain.

• 6 months later...

Hello there. I have been through 3 different usb drives. (No not SanDisks). I keep getting that same error. I bounce it a few times then it’s fine. It will even throw a data corrupt error and still be fine a few resets later. AMD B450 Aorus Elite v2 bios date 2/9/23. I have read the forums about AMD’s wonderful integrated 2nd bios feature that I do not believe is causing this issue. I have also disabled auto over clocking features and disabled XMP profiles for the RAM. Also, I realized the usb port that I used prior was getting passed through to my VM and corrupting the usb. Used a different port and has worked better. The usb is a generic 2.0 plugged into a 3.0 socket. Maybe I am missing something? 

Edited by Michigan1112