Thinking about biting the bullet and going unraid

reconstruction

my current DRP consists of a 5TB USB drive that I backup critical data to and lock in a fireproof safe.  I also have encrypted cloud backups for some items.  I typically format it and copy the data over every 6 months.

5tb is enough to cover my critical data... the rest would just take a while to rebuild if something happened to it.  I'm not fancy enough to use tape or anything else.  I'm too cheap to turn my old server into a backup server - and frankly, I don't need 2 servers in the office.  Everything is a compromise; this works for me so far.

Frankly, most of the stuff I do with this server is "playing" and learning stuff.  

If I ever get really serious about it, I'll just backup to back blaze or something.

Wanted to thank everyone who took their time to give their $.02 here and in other threads (I was lurking/searching quite a bit).  System is online... VMs & Dockers are up and running.  Still migrating files but I'm very pleased with how things are running right now.

Very happy with the performance of the VMs on this system.  It's really nice to have them housed all on one system versus spread across multiple older devices (they will eventually be depreciated).  I didn't think I was going to like the web/"VNC" access as much as I do.  It's been handy when I've been off site and VPN into my home network.  Sometimes the wifi I'm on is slow enough that RDP doesn't work well and the web interface works flawlessly.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, reconstruction said:

I didn't think I was going to like the web/"VNC" access as much as I do.  It's been handy when I've been off site and VPN into my home network.  Sometimes the wifi I'm on is slow enough that RDP doesn't work well and the web interface works flawlessly.

I recommend adding nomachine to your VM's, it's an alternative to RDP and can perform quite well over bad connections.