Woke up to Disk1 read errors and 1 error on Parity

mkono87

Received a notification this morning that there were read errors on Disk 1 (612). It looks as if it happened during a parity check. I'm not quite sure what the best steps to take are. Attached is my diagnostics, maybe you can spot and advise what I should do. Other than these notifications, the system is running normally without anything odd happening.

Thanks.

nas-diagnostics-20230129-1543.zip

On 1/29/2023 at 3:56 PM, trurl said:

Check connections on disk1, power and SATA, both ends, including splitters. Run another non-correcting parity check.

So I changed sata cables made sure everything was seated properly, I even went to the extent of rebuilding it. Still showing read errors and parity errors after non correcting check.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 7:11 AM, JorgeB said:

It's logged as a disk problem, run an extended SMART test on disk1.

Ran the extended and it completed without any issue. Last week parity check completed with 3 errors and yesterday with 0. But disk1 slowly creeps with errors, sitting at 293 so far.

6 hours ago, JorgeB said:

They are again logged as disk errors, and since SMART is showing some issues I would replace that disk.

Oh weird, I thought there wasnt any issues as the test completed fine. I had a feeling it was time to replace this disk. I think it was the most used out of the entire array.

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAGS    VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     POSR-K   200   199   051    -    0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   ---R--   200   200   000    -    54

Non zero value for any of these attributes with WD drives is bad news, especially if they keep climbing.

1st diags you posted, same disk:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAGS    VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     POSR-K   200   200   051    -    0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   ---R--   200   200   000    -    0