Creation of an VM of an existing notebook possible

Hi,

im totaly new in VMs and just wanted to know if it is possible to create an VM duplicate of an already existing notebook. 

Im running this (crappy old) notebook because im having some special software on it which i bougt some years ago and because the companies doesn't exist anymore i cant reactivate on different system.

It is running on Win 10 64.

So my generall thougt was to use a tool to create an image file or some other kind of duplication tool, then create VM and use the image to restore the system in VM environment. 

But im not sure if possible or not. Would be nice when someone could describe some steps how to do it, when possible..

Thanks

See https://virtuallyfun.com/2018/01/15/converting-a-physical-disk-to-a-virtual-disk-with-qemus-qemu-img-on-windows/

You can connect that machine's drive to your server, find its identifier in unassigned devices, then run 

qemu-img convert -f raw -O qcow2 -S 4k /dev/sdX [destination]/image.qcow2

Destination needs to be big enough to hold up to the source drive's size. 

Then create a VM with that image as virtual disk.

Note that depending on how that software's licensing works it might deactivate itself if it's checking whether it's still running on the same machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you sooo much for your help. That would be exact the needed solution.

But unfortunetly it is a Surface Book. So I can't easily take out the drive 😞 also it is an m1 ssd drive so I would need to buy external adapter to connect.

Is there another possibility? to take a snapshot of the drive to an external device? then connect the device as unassigned device and continue with your described approach?

That would help alot.