USB boot devices loses connection after some time

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello

I have a problem after some time my USB boot device loses connection to my unraid server. I get the following errors 

Feb  8 05:43:20 Towerbunt kernel: usb 2-4: USB disconnect, device number 2
Feb  8 05:43:20 Towerbunt kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: WARN Set TR Deq Ptr cmd failed due to incorrect slot or ep state.
Feb  8 05:43:20 Towerbunt kernel: usb 2-4: new SuperSpeed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
Feb  8 05:43:20 Towerbunt kernel: usb-storage 2-4:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
Feb  8 05:43:20 Towerbunt kernel: scsi host10: usb-storage 2-4:1.0
Feb  8 05:43:21 Towerbunt  emhttpd: Unregistered - flash device error (ENOFLASH3)

May this more be a problem with the USB device or with the board itself? I have a x11sch-ln4f mainboard with IPMI and KVM console is also not available after some time the server runs.

With a reboot the USB device gets connected again and the server runs fine. 

8 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Are you using one of the USB2 ports on your motherboard (possibly via internal header) for the flash drive as they tend to be more reliable than USB3 ports.  Alternatively can you use a USB2 flash drive as you get no noticeable performance advantage from using a USB3 one.

The board has an internal USB3 port which I am using. I can plug it directly into the board. 
But may the usb3 port be this unstable that it loses connection? I could try a usb 2 port on the back of the board, but feels a bit bad not being able to use the port right on the mainboard itself. 

• Solution
2 hours ago, UnKwicks said:

The board has an internal USB3 port which I am using. I can plug it directly into the board. 
But may the usb3 port be this unstable that it loses connection? I could try a usb 2 port on the back of the board, but feels a bit bad not being able to use the port right on the mainboard itself. 

I would definitely try the USB2 port as experience has shown them to be far more reliable than USB3 ones.     If it works on the external USB2 port then I see that board also has USB2 headers that you could use if you prefer the drive to be internal.   I also recommend (if possible) a USB2 based flash drive although they are now getting a bit harder to source as they also seem to work more reliably if you only have USB3 sockets available.

on paper USB3 feels like it should be a better solution but experience has shown this is often not the case although it could change as the technology gets better and uSB3 support improves.