Install mysqldump (MariaDB or mysql client?) to the Unraid OS for user script

Go to solution Solved by explosionhole,

I have installed the user.scripts plugin, which is very useful, and have copied across a backup script (originally written for MySQL, but reusing here for my new MariaDB docker container).

It errors with:

/tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/mariadb-backup/script: line 11: mysqldump: command not found

Under which environment and user is this executing? I am assuming on the Unraid's OS itself and as `root`.

1 hour ago, explosionhole said:

Under which environment and user is this executing? I am assuming on the Unraid's OS itself and as `root`.

Yes. Unraid isn't going to have that command, and likely it is missing a lot of dependencies even if you could install the command.

Maybe it would run in your mariadb container. You can get to the command line inside a container by clicking its icon and selecting >_ Console.

If you can get it working inside that container, then it should be possible to make User Scripts run it inside that container.

thanks for the pointer.

when selecting the deployed Mariadb-Official container, so view it's config it actually lists a command to perform backups, which they have as:

docker exec MariaDB-Official sh -c 'exec mysqldump --all-databases -uroot -p"YOUR_ROOT_PASSWORD"' > /mnt/user/Backups/all-databases.sql

Which I tried, by adding a new "bind" volume to the container's config and pointing the paths. Now I get "permission denied", presumably the local user this is running as within this container doesn't have permissions to my new "bind" volume. I cannot identify which user I am on the container's console.

docker exec mariadb sh -c 'exec mysqldump --all-databases -uroot -p"YOUR_ROOT_PASSWORD" | gzip > /backups/unraid_`date '+%d-%m-%Y'`.sql.gz'

1 hour ago, trurl said:

This command is for running on Unraid. It executes a command in the container and sends the results to a path on Unraid.

I know this.

What I don't (off-hand) understand is the user and permission model for Unraid with Docker containers.

If this was a pure Docker (or other container platform), I would use newer "volumes" not "bind volumes". However, adopting to a new platform, I am trying to follow the typical patterns that follows the Unraid GUI.