Unraid crashes, maybe because of Plex

I just installed Jellyfin and went through the setup process and the initial scanning killed the server. Again nothing in the logs.
This suggests the issue _is_ at least partly a hardware issue. All I have left are the CPU and motherboard but both work fine unless intensely scanning files.

I have tried:
- New power supply
- New cables
- Memtest (clear)
- Safe mode (with and without starting the array)
- Multiple different Plex docker images
- None of the HDD or NVMe are reporting errors

I have a new motherboard and the CPU appears to work fine (hw transcoding fine).

Could this be a HDD issue? 

I can run for days with no crash until I start the Plex docker. Then scheduled maintenance kills the server.
Complete panic and reboot but nothing in the logs.

Aug 10 15:18:08 Sakaar kernel: eth0: renamed from veth8e9cec0
Aug 10 15:18:08 Sakaar kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): veth2823d2e: link becomes ready
[ crash occurerd at approx 15:58]
Aug 10 15:59:33 Sakaar kernel: microcode: microcode updated early to revision 0x56, date = 2022-08-02
Aug 10 15:59:33 Sakaar kernel: Linux version 6.1.38-Unraid (root@Develop-612) (gcc (GCC) 12.2.0, GNU ld version 2.40-slack151) #2 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Jul 10 09:50:25 PDT 2023

Attached is my syslog (mirrored to the Flash drive) and diagnostics in case someone can see something I can't.

EDIT: Jellyfin shows some failures in the logs prior to the crash but there are a few of the same type and I'm not sure that it could cause a crash.

MediaBrowser.Common.FfmpegException: ffmpeg image extraction failed for file:"/media/tv/Taskmaster/Season 12/Taskmaster (2015) - S12E01 - An Imbalance in the Poppability [WEBDL-1080p][AAC 2.0][x264]-NTb.mkv" at MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder.ExtractImageInternal(String inputPath, String container, MediaStream videoStream, Nullable`1 imageStreamIndex, Nullable`1 threedFormat, Nullable`1 offset, Boolean useIFrame, Nullable`1 targetFormat, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at MediaBrowser.MediaEncoding.Encoder.MediaEncoder.ExtractImage(String inputFile, String container, MediaStream videoStream, Nullable`1 imageStreamIndex, MediaSourceInfo mediaSource, Boolean isAudio, Nullable`1 threedFormat, Nullable`1 offset, Nullable`1 targetFormat, CancellationToken cancellationToken) at Emby.Server.Implementations.MediaEncoder.EncodingManager.RefreshChapterImages(Video video, IDirectoryService directoryService, IReadOnlyList`1 chapters, Boolean extractImages, Boolean saveChapters, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

sakaar-diagnostics-20230810-1602.zip syslog (15)

Edited by Craig Dennis
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello everybody.

I have more information to provide, maybe helping for the diagnosys.

I had issues with the mover in another topic, so I tried to disactivate it for data share of plex datas. It seemed to be solved and I tried that during about 2 weeks successfully.

BUT, today, 2 new crashes !! In fact, I suspect is was because of the parity check of unraid.

So... My idea is plex is doing something "wrong" sometimes and, if unraid is doing some kind of "maintenance" (mover, parity check...) it crashes all the system.

What do you thing about that ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi has anyone found a solution to this as im having this issue as well. I have found this happen mostly when im transcoding 4k to a mobile device and the server randomly drops off. ive got  reasonalble amount of fans in my compact unraid server. all noctua ones. generally my temps looks good unless the transcode is over heating the cpu and its just locking up,Ive got quite a chuncky noctua fan on the cpu too. im running a 13600k with 64gb ddr5 ram.

Just had another crash , it looks like if im trying to transcode a large 4k movie which is uncompressed ie not X265 it seems to have a wobbler but cant see why as my setup should be more than capable of handling this. I also recently upgraded to 10gb connectivity with a 2.5gb feed going to my wireless router so it should more than capable of streaming to a wireless device.

Edited by PhantomICEMAN