Odd Permissions Behavior with SMB File Shares

Evenimous
Go to solution Solved by Evenimous,

I have noticed an odd behavior regarding permissions set on SMB file shares for my client computers. For some context, let me paint the situation

Client A is trying to access file 22.xyz on share "client" under /mnt/users/client/folder/22.xyz, mounted on their Windows 11 Pro system under drive letter V, as V:/folder/22.xyz. 

Client A's is connected to said share as Unraid user "user", and this user has full read, write, and execute permissions on this share.

Client A can fully access 22.xyz, can read, write, and execute it. Client A wanted to copy file 22.xyz into V:/folder/subfolder, but they cannot access V:/folder/subfolder at all. That subfolder was entirely blocked from reading, writing, and executing. 0 permissions. 

I tried fixing this by going into the terminal and reapplying the full permissions for their UnRaid user account on the share, which did not seem to do anything. Then, I went into the terminal from the GUI, and chmod -R -v 775 on the subfolder, but the user was still not able to read this. I tried disconnecting the user from the share, and then reconnecting them from the share, and they could still not read the share I tried fixing this again by going into the terminal and chmod -R -v 777 on the subfolder, and it finally worked. 

Now, the reason I'm making this post is because I do not fully understand what is happening. They are connected to the SMB share as "user" that is fully capable of reading, writing, and executing on any of the content inside. The share was set in the UnRaid gui as Export: YES, and Security: PRIVATE, which to me just means 770 permissions. They signed in as "user" from the "users" group, which to my understanding is from the default group in UnRaid, and to my knowledge, should be totally capable of using anything in the folders. What can cause this behavior? Does this mean that my UnRaid server is treating the client computer as their Windows User? What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

I found the solution to my problem. The Unraid Server will not be considered to be disconnected from the Active Directory until it has been rebooted.

I had not rebooted my server, so I waited for a good time, then tried that, and it worked. I then had to go into the unraid terminal through the gui, and make sure that the "root" user had ownership of the base directory of the user shares to make sure that UnRaid's GUI features would work correctly again.