Unraid no longer starts

Initially I got a boot message saying that my HD/SSD is about to die. I only could start the server after disabling SMART in my bios. This gets me a bit further, but still seeing a new error message now: "waiting up to 30 sec for device with label UNRAID - not found".

Assume my Unraid usb is faulty? How to set it up from scratch? Or any other thoughts what could be wrong?

54 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

"waiting up to 30 sec for device with label UNRAID - not found"

That is the message you get if the Unraid flash drive cannot be found during the later stages of the boot sequence (or if it is not labelled "UNRAID").   You could plug this into another machine to check it can be read OK and is labelled correctly.  Failing that if you can plug it into a USB2 port as they tend to be less prone to this sort of issue.

Thanks. Are you implying that this may be related to the server not starting unless I disable the SMART check in bios?

It used to work in this port. Also tried others with same issue.

I don't have a Windows PC to try, but I checked on Mac. Disk utility shows no issue. The disk is called UNRAID.

What else to try?

8 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Thanks. Are you implying that this may be related to the server not starting unless I disable the SMART check in bios?

It used to work in this port. Also tried others with same issue.

I don't have a Windows PC to try, but I checked on Mac. Disk utility shows no issue. The disk is called UNRAID.

What else to try?

I do not see how changing the BIOS setting could produce your symptoms.

Might just be worth trying a different USB port?

Otherwise I am out of ideas I am afraid.

2 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

One more thought: What confuses me is that it actually initially starts to boot UNRAID. Otherwise, it wouldn't even get to this error message?

Yes - I agree.    But after the initial load into RAM the boot sequence later looks for a flash drive labelled UNRAID that it wants to mount at /boot and for some reason this search is failing.

I somehow succeeded to boot into Unraid by disconnecting my USB devices (except the Unraid boot usb).

The weird thing is that even after disconnecting them, I can only boot if I disable SMART check in bios. So, it seems that my mobo thinks that one of my HD/SSD disks are faulty. I do remember seeing a "error" message before for one of the disks that I "acknowleged" in Unraid. This could be the issue. Not sure what I can do though. I don't think the dailure was real and SMART tests complete without errors. Maybe this acknoledgements isn't visible in my bios, causing such issue?

I think the bios/SMART thing is a toallly independent issue. I disabled the check.

Whent I boot with usb enclosure attached, I receive the error message ""waiting up to 30 sec for device with label UNRAID - not found". And Unraid doesn't boot up. If I boot with the USB enclosure being disconnected, all works. And I can still use the enclosure after connecting it after boot. It still does not work to boot though with the enclosure connected to usb.

Any idea what could be causing this issue?