Nginx Proxy Manager and Dynamic DNS

Go to solution Solved by MAM59,

Hello everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, General Support seems the most appropriate.

I use Nginx Proxy Manager (Djoss's Repo) on my Unraid 6.11.5 rig to run an Emby server. It works a treat. Only I'm with TalkTalk in the UK and the moment there's any kind of network down time, anything from a router reboot to a pigeon landing on the overhead cable, I get a new IP address and have to alter my CNAME records on GoDaddy. It's become a daily thing now where I check my public IP address for any change before my family log in.

Is there anyway to get around this? I have a no-ip account, and my router supports it, but I'm not the cleverest when it comes to networking.

Anyone have any ideas? Or guides I can follow?

Thank you

• Solution

You are thinking a bit too complicated 🙂 Clean up.

First of all, get a DynDNS Provider somewhere, even your UNRAID Account may be sufficient already if you use the "my servers" plugin. look a the settings there, you may find lines like:

https://192-168-0-4.dd506XXXXXYYYYYYYYa66b1e1.myunraid.net/

This is your "official" Name (if you use a different provider, you will get the chance to select your own name/domain).

Now go to your GODaddy and change all the CNAMEs you have created to this Name (like "ftp" -> "https://192-168-0-4.dXXXXXX7YYYYYa66b1e1.myunraid.net/" and so on)

DONE!

Everytime you get a new IP, the plugin will notice it and change your address on unraid.net. The CNAMEs always stay the same.

If you use a different provider, you need a means to update this (single) adress record there. Usually the home routers can do this automatically for you, or your provider offers a means to use "curl" or something else to update the data without manual interference.