moving VM disk location changed size and is now unchangable, and broken

I recently update to the newest release candidate (Version: 6.12.0-rc2)

I setup a windows VM and used the auto setting for disk location, which created a directory on the cache drive with the same name as the VM name.  I'd set it to be 65G in size.  I got it all setup and running.

I later realized this new directory was not setup to use the cache drive, so the fix common problems plugin threw an error about this.  I already had a directory on the cache for VM images, so I just moved the image from the one "auto" created location and changed the name to reflect the VM it is used for.

i.e. I changed it from cache/windows11/vdisk1.img to cache/VMs/Media Server/windows11.img

I then updated the VM to point to this new location.

I then discovered that this changed resulted in the VM going from 65G to 30G and is now unable to be changed back to 65G.

This also resulted in the VM not starting.  I'm guessing because it expects a different size than the new size.

1. Is this recoverable from here, or do I need to pull a backup of the VM from yesterday and edit the VM back to use the auto location?

2. Is this a bug, or is this expected behavior?  If expected, why?