Kernel: Enable CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_BTF (Needed for Crowdstrike agent)

Hey guys,

I'm looking into installing and creating a plugin eventually for Crowdstrike agent for UnRAID. Crowdstrike is a next gen antivirus, which relies on behavioral patterns and in my experience it uses a fraction of resources the traditional antivirus types do.

Currently the Crowdstrike agent does not run even in "user mode" which would bring good enough security checks. Upon investigation I noticed that only CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_BTF=y is not enabled in /usr/src/linux-5.19.17-Unraid/.config.

All the rest are already enabled in UnRAID. From their documentation:

User mode of the sensor requires custom kernels to have a version of 5.8 or later and these kernel config options:

CONFIG_BPF=y
CONFIG_BPF_SYSCALL=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_BTF=y
CONFIG_BPF_EVENTS=y
CONFIG_BPF_JIT=y

Thank you!

Edited by Mihai
  • Mihai changed the title to Kernel: Enable CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_BTF (Needed for Crowdstrike agent)
11 hours ago, Mihai said:

Crowdstrike is a next gen antivirus, which relies on behavioral patterns and in my experience it uses a fraction of resources the traditional antivirus types do.

Thank you for the request, can you give me a resource to the documentation? Is this the CrowdStrike Falcon Agent?

Please make sure that you check their EULA and if creating a third party plugin doesn't violate their EULA first.

I may be wrong about that but I remember seeing a Docker container for the Agent somewhere.

11 hours ago, Mihai said:

CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_BTF=y

I'm not super on the fence for that because IIRC this can have some performance downsides but I will look into that and also how much the Kernel will grow in terms of size.

However it should not harm anything on Unraid but I will take first a look at it.

I hope it's enough for you that I look into it early next week.

Wow, thanks for the fast response!

Of course, I will check their EULA, but looking at the Archlinux falcon-sensor package it seems they're only prohibiting people to distribute the package themselves, so most probably it will be a plugin which requires manually downloading the package and then sharing it.

In terms of documentation, unfortunately it's behind a paywall, so for customers only :( but I assume I would be able to share some snippets via PM if you need them, just please let me know.

I think you're talking about the "crowdsec" container, which is a different product, and open source, but that's more as a WAF as far as i understand, but I'm also planning to try it out in the near future. 

In terms of performance/size issues, I can't say much, but I know that for example NixOS and Manjaro are 2 Linux distributions which have all these params on by default in their LTS kernels. I know because I run them both and just installed falcon-agent on both of them.

It's definitely no rush from my side, please take your time and I understand you have other priorities. It's just something nice to have.. in these days of increasing cyberattacks.

Thank you!

On 4/1/2023 at 6:29 PM, Mihai said:

Wow, thanks for the fast response!

Please always quote me or at least mention me because otherwise I will miss your response and I've only seen by accident that you've answered.

In terms of documentation, unfortunately it's behind a paywall, so for customers only :( but I assume I would be able to share some snippets via PM if you need them, just please let me know.

This is tough... I would really recommend that you check their EULA because otherwise you are on thin ice...

I think you're talking about the "crowdsec" container

Definitely not... :D

In terms of performance/size issues, I can't say much, but I know that for example NixOS and Manjaro are 2 Linux distributions which have all these params on by default in their LTS kernels. I know because I run them both and just installed falcon-agent on both of them.

I know, Debian also has them enabled but the main difference is that these Distros are in most cases used for Desktop usage and not in the case like for Unraid as a Server OS. I completely get your point and what you are trying to accomplish but I'm not entirely sure if the antivirus should run on the server itself because Unraid is not a general purpose server.

Is there maybe a Docker container for this application out there?

• 2 months later...

@ich777 that container would probably run, but will be mostly useless because of the missing `CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_BTF` kernel option.

Unfortunately it's written in such a way that if it doesn't have the necessary environment, it simply refuses to work. It behaves a bit different than traditional AVs, and it won't actually scan files all the time (which can kill the CPU), but more of a behavioral checks, for example if specific files are being copied or even suspicious network traffic.