Feasibility of an idea (Notebook with an external HDD enclosure)

CptRetro

Hello all,

I would like to use my "old" laptop with Unraid. It is a Lenovo T15 g2 with an i9-11950H, 128GB RAM, 3x m.2 PCIe slots and an Nvidia RTX 3070. I would like to combine the laptop with an external enclosure for hard drives like the TerraMaster D5 Thunderbolt 3.

I would be interested to know if I can pass the hard drives directly to Unraid without RAID? Furthermore, there is also the question of whether I can use the internal m.2 slots for caching?

Has anyone already had experience with this? 

2 hours ago, CptRetro said:

I would be interested to know if I can pass the hard drives directly to Unraid without RAID?

Should be possible since the TerraMaster D5 Thunderbolt 3 has a JBOD mode.

A possible concern would be the USB-C Thunderbolt 3 connection to the laptop.  Connecting hard drives via USB (any flavor) that are intended to be in the Unraid array has been problematic in the past.  USB-connected drives can drop out or not show up in Unraid.  This mostly comes down to the reliability of USB in general on the motherboard.  It varies by chipset and manufacturer. 

I personally have no experience with USB-C/Thunderbolt with Unraid so perhaps someone who has can chime in on its reliability for a permanent data connection.

2 hours ago, CptRetro said:

there is also the question of whether I can use the internal m.2 slots for caching?

As long as Unraid can see the SSDs in the M.2 slots, that should work.  Many of us use M.2 NVMe drives as "cache" drives.  I have one on each of my Unraid servers.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Hoopster said:

I personally have no experience with USB-C/Thunderbolt with Unraid so perhaps someone who has can chime in on its reliability for a permanent data connection.

I am afraid that the hard disk mappings (sdc etc) with USB connections are not reliable