How to diagnose very slow transfer to server? 10MB/s

Hey there,

I just set up my first unraid server (file storage for my small business), created users and shares and started testing it.

All this is very far away from my knowledge area so probably I'm making a dumb mistake here: I'm getting 10 to 11MB/s file write speed from windows to the server.

This is the setup:

• Kioxia 500GB NVMe (as cache) + Ironwolf 8TB (parity) + 2x Ironwolf 8TB (storage)
  • Server is a MSI B250M, i5 7400, 8Gb single stick, no cards added
  • I've set up 'Use cache: Yes' in this share and 'Tunable (md_write_method): reconstruct white' as I read here
  • The server is connected to a TP-Link TL-SG108 switch who is then connected to a TP-Link router where my pc is connected

Sorry if this is a dumb question and thank you so much for your help.

Edited by Eurocrew
12 minutes ago, Eurocrew said:

Hey there,

I just set up my first unraid server (file storage for my small business), created users and shares and started testing it.

All this is very far away from my knowledge area so probably I'm making a dumb mistake here: I'm getting 10 to 11MB/s file write speed from windows to the server.

This is the setup:

• Kioxia 500GB NVMe (as cache) + Ironwolf 8TB (parity) + 2x Ironwolf 8TB (storage)
  • Server is a MSI B250M, i5 7400, 8Gb single stick, no cards added
  • I've set up 'Use cache: Yes' in this share and 'Tunable (md_write_method): reconstruct white' as I read here
  • The server is connected to a TP-Link TL-SG108 switch who is then connected to a TP-Link router where my pc is connected

Sorry if this is a dumb question and thank you so much for your help.

That speed sounds like you would expect if the Ethernet is running at 100Mbps.

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread.

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

That speed sounds like you would expect if the Ethernet is running at 100Mbps.

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread.

Ps.: eth0 ethtool shows:  Speed: 1000Mb/s

But then every transfer looks like it's limited to 100Mb/s

euroserver-diagnostics-20230406-1250.zip

Edited by Eurocrew

I just checked your syslog and your connection is 1Gb/sec which is typical for modern NIC's.  (Understand that   b=bit  and    B=byte.  Mixing them up is a major issue in communication...)

First thing is figure out what out what the problem is.  You must understand that there is a lot of stuff that happens in the background when files are being transferred.   The overhead of these background operations can really impact transfer speeds.  First thing to do is to transfer a very large file to your server.  It should be larger than 10GB.  BluRay iso's or drive image files are ideal for this purpose.  (I typically get speed of 100MB/sec with these big files.)

Transferring small files from a WIN10 client (Document folder backup) to my server, the speed varies from ~5MB/sec to  ~50MB/sec.  (That backup is currently 27,000+ files and 31.5GB of data.  Sorry, I don't know the time but it is under thirty minutes.)

I see you have an SSD for as cache drive.  I don't recognize the manufacturer but I know that some SSD's have write speed issues depending on the technology used for the array.  (Some drives also use a small amount of high speed cache memory so that the write speed 'looks' fast for small files but it slows dramatically after the cache fills up.)  Look for reviews of that specific drive with testing data on transfer speeds.