Re: How to avoid the Gigabyte HPA problem?

sam9s

Ok thsnkd atleast you replied ..... I have ordered the board. Should reach me within a week. In the mean time what I did was I had a very old MSI board lying in scrap, bought an AMD Athlon X2 for practically free ... 20USD for the record and assembled it with my current ram and PSU. Used my same unraid stick, that I configured with my gigabyte board and ran preclear on my remaining 1TB drive. Now both my 2TB and 1TB drives are precleared.

What I want to know is if I go ahead and assign the drives to my arrey with this existing temporary hardware and also configure it, like creating shares, copying data (except parity drive)... and few other basic activities, would I be able to use the same flash disk and array when I get my new mobo with an Intel processor. Would I be able to just plug my flash drive with new hardware and start my array and use it from there further.

Reason I am asking is that if this is possible then I can go ahead and keep configuring my array and also start copying the huge huge data that I want to be copied on to the drives ......... all this while I wait for my new hardware to arrive .......

thanks in advance

Regards

Sammy

Ok thsnkd atleast you replied ..... I have ordered the board. Should reach me within a week. In the mean time what I did was I had a very old MSI board lying in scrap, bought an AMD Athlon X2 for practically free ... 20USD for the record and assembled it with my current ram and PSU. Used my same unraid stick, that I configured with my gigabyte board and ran preclear on my remaining 1TB drive. Now both my 2TB and 1TB drives are precleared.

What I want to know is if I go ahead and assign the drives to my arrey with this existing temporary hardware and also configure it, like creating shares, copying data (except parity drive)... and few other basic activities, would I be able to use the same flash disk and array when I get my new mobo with an Intel processor. Would I be able to just plug my flash drive with new hardware and start my array and use it from there further.

Reason I am asking is that if this is possible then I can go ahead and keep configuring my array and also start copying the huge huge data that I want to be copied on to the drives ......... all this while I wait for my new hardware to arrive .......

thanks in advance

Regards

Sammy

Yes, but before you do just take a screen shot of the devices page and keep it handy.  unRAID may discover the disks in a different order, so you may have assign them to the correct slots again.  If you are running 5.0b10 then you should not have to worry about this.

mmm I was wonderting where did my question go......lol. Anyway thank again, I am on 4.7 currently so I guess I will take a screen shot of the device page and make sure the drives are in correct order when I plug it in my new hardware. This is good, this is very good, Unraid being completely platform independent. With windows you cant even think off using the same boot drive on a different haedware .......and thanks for getting my own thread, that way I can keep my questions on a single thread. being new to all of this I keep coming with them as I progress with unraid configuration ,.......

Thanks again

Regards

Sammy

Archived