used space on a new drive

Last night I moved my cache drive to an array storage drive.  (long story as to why).

Cleared and formatted, nothing written on it.  It shows 33.67 MB used. (drive was precleared before being used as a cache drive).  It showed this same used space when used as a cache drive too, but I never worried about it.  None of my other drives ever showed any "used" space before writing to them.  

Any idea what this is?  No sign of HPA showing up in the syslog.  No errors in the syslog.  File attached just in case its helpful.

Thanks.

syslog-2011-08-05.txt

I'd agree, and it's probably normal.

Doesn't explain any difference you might be seeing. We might be able to tell you more if you can elaborate on "It shows 33.67 MB used." Where do you see that? A Windows view of a SMB disk share? The unRAID web interface? Output from df?

Doesn't explain any difference you might be seeing. We might be able to tell you more if you can elaborate on "It shows 33.67 MB used." Where do you see that? A Windows view of a SMB disk share? The unRAID web interface? Output from df?

It's in the unMENU main screen where it shows total capacity, used, and available by drive.  Every other drive always shows the full original capacity (IE it's not showing the overhead for the file system when the drive is empty).  Then for some reason this drive shows 33.67MB used out of 1 Tb, which doesnt sound like enough for the overhead anyway.

it showed the same thing when I used this drive for a cache drive outside the array.  I figured it had something to do with it being a cache drive and never really thought about it.  Then i moved it into the array, reformatted, and it shows up with the same space used.

It's in the unMENU main screen where it shows total capacity, used, and available by drive.  Every other drive always shows the full original capacity (IE it's not showing the overhead for the file system when the drive is empty).  Then for some reason this drive shows 33.67MB used out of 1 Tb, which doesnt sound like enough for the overhead anyway.

it showed the same thing when I used this drive for a cache drive outside the array.  I figured it had something to do with it being a cache drive and never really thought about it.  Then i moved it into the array, reformatted, and it shows up with the same space used.

What do you see when you log in and type:

df

df

I will try this Thursday night when I'm home again, and post back here.  Do I have to be in any specific directory after logging in?  Not sure what this command is/does.

Ah, right. Yes, log in and type that, but for the relevant drive number instead of cache:

ls -al /mnt/driveX

It'll list everything at the top level of that drive.

df will spit out a list of mounted filesystems with total blocks, amounts free, used, etc. If it shows the new drive with the same number of total blocks as the others then the ls command above should help to understand why.

Ah, right. Yes, log in and type that, but for the relevant drive number instead of cache:

ls -al /mnt/driveX

It'll list everything at the top level of that drive.

df will spit out a list of mounted filesystems with total blocks, amounts free, used, etc. If it shows the new drive with the same number of total blocks as the others then the ls command above should help to understand why.

This should read, "ls -al /mnt/diskX". Where X is the drive number.

df

I will try this Thursday night when I'm home again, and post back here.  Do I have to be in any specific directory after logging in?  Not sure what this command is/does.

You can be in any directory.

It will list the mounted disks and their free space.

On one of my servers, it looks like this:

[color=maroon][color=blue]root@Tower2:~#[/color][b][color=black] df[/color][/b]
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdd1              1000640    679632    321008  68% /boot
/dev/md4             1465093832 608493884 856599948  42% /mnt/disk4
/dev/md3             1465093832 956821176 508272656  66% /mnt/disk3
/dev/md5             1465093832 679939108 785154724  47% /mnt/disk5
/dev/md2             1953454928 1428313732 525141196  74% /mnt/disk2
/dev/md1             1953454928 1705538940 247915988  88% /mnt/disk1
/dev/md6             1953454928 744123676 1209331252  39% /mnt/disk6
shfs                 10255646280 6123230516 4132415764  60% /mnt/user[/color]

Here are the results of "df"  The device is MD6, but not sure what I'm looking for here.

Filesystem          1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/sdh1              1949664    84384  1865280  5% /boot

/dev/md5            1953454928 994762348 958692580  51% /mnt/disk5

/dev/md6            976732736 423557356 553175380  44% /mnt/disk6

/dev/md4            1953454928 935500004 1017954924  48% /mnt/disk4

/dev/md1            1953454928 1037246424 916208504  54% /mnt/disk1

/dev/md3            1953454928 815032764 1138422164  42% /mnt/disk3

/dev/md2            1953454928 807220552 1146234376  42% /mnt/disk2

shfs                10744007376 5013319448 5730687928  47% /mnt/user

here are the results of the "ls" command.  Everything in here looks like what I copied over AFTER nothing the small amount of used space on the new drive.

total 16

drwx------  9 root root  240 Aug  6 16:09 ./

drwxr-xr-x  9 root root    0 Aug  7 08:58 ../

drwx--x--x  7 root root  200 Aug 12 00:54 Backup\ Items/

drwx--x--x  60 root root 4552 Aug 12 00:54 Downloads/

drwx--x--x  9 root root  312 Aug 12 00:54 Jukebox\ Database\ Files/

drwx--x--x  2 root root 2976 Aug  6 15:10 MDS\ Files/

drwx--x--x 287 root root 9344 Aug 12 00:54 Music/

Your md6 has the normal number of 1K blocks (976732736). Nothing unusual is visible in the file listing. If all those directories are what you copied then you're probably hunting shadows, and since you've already copied things it's much harder to understand what you saw. I don't recall what shows as free in unmenu for new drives. Maybe add another drive?

A guess is you mounted md6 on a client before you looked at unmenu and something had been created on the drive. No sign of it now.

Your md6 has the normal number of 1K blocks (976732736). Nothing unusual is visible in the file listing. If all those directories are what you copied then you're probably hunting shadows, and since you've already copied things it's much harder to understand what you saw. I don't recall what shows as free in unmenu for new drives. Maybe add another drive?

A guess is you mounted md6 on a client before you looked at unmenu and something had been created on the drive. No sign of it now.

I appreciate you all looking at this for me, and in the end I really don't THINK it's an issue.

However, I added this drive twice.  First as a chache drive, and second as a data drive.  Both times immediately after formatting it showed 33.67 MB used in unMENU.  This was before even a directory was created on the drive.  None of my other drives did this. 

The space is insignificant, and the drive seems to perform fine. 

When it was a cache drive I was really not concerned.  Now that it is an array drive, my only real concern was if there was a "shadow" of some type or another, could it affect parity in some fashion that would be a problem. 

I appreciate you all looking at this for me, and in the end I really don't THINK it's an issue.

However, I added this drive twice.  First as a chache drive, and second as a data drive.  Both times immediately after formatting it showed 33.67 MB used in unMENU.  This was before even a directory was created on the drive.  None of my other drives did this. 

When it was a cache drive I was really not concerned.  Now that it is an array drive, my only real concern was if there was a "shadow" of some type or another, could it affect parity in some fashion that would be a problem. 

It is simply the overhead of the reiser file system.

Joe L.

I'll go with that, and appreciate the help.  Just find it odd none of my other drives showed the same usage. 

Thanks again

It is simply the overhead of the reiser file system.

Joe L.

Archived