Network setup help

ricostuart

I've got unraid currently running on my qnap (tvs-473e with gtx1050ti, 4x 8tb toshiba n300 drives, 2x m.2 500gb SSD, 40gb memory)  unit which has 4 integrated 1gb network ports. I currently use 2 ports using balance-alb. This connects to my unmanaged 8port poe+ switch. My switch powers my 3 mesh network points. It also powers my wrt3200acm router running openwrt. I've got my vero4k (osmc) which runs on Debian running my AdGuard home. This is also powered by poe. The whole system is backed up with a apc ups. 

As I basically don't turn off the server and it's primary function is to run emby, I was thinking of consolidating everything into a VM on the server to get rid of the router and osmc (I use Nvidia shield of video playback now). I have a small fiber box as the modem. 

Would this be a easy enough setup to do? I'm hoping to save a bit on the power bills! Currently the whole setup (ups, server, access points, switch) run at 90w-120w. 

20230326_130959.jpg

^ Agree.

I played with the idea of putting opnsense on my server.  Great idea in theory, but the devil is in the details.  If the server is shut down, or even the array stopped, your VMs also stop.  So everything works great *when* everything is working great.  When something goes wrong?  If your router is down, you can't access it, as your network is down.

I know a lot of people virtualize their pfsense/opnsense firewalls.  But nothing beats it running on bare metal.  Makes troubleshooting so much easier, especially as you usually are without useful resources (such as your normally used network) when you find yourself trying to fix things.

• Upvote 1