Help with VM not booting any longer after moving the primary disk to domains...

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

I have been playing with a VM with Home Assistant for a few days where it has worked great. Now I realized I have located the VM primary file on a share with backup=yes rather than in the domains share and thought I could fix this by:

1. Stopping the VM
  2. Moving the directory with the qcov2 file to domains
  3. Edit the VM to specify the new primary disk location (under domains) of the qcov2 file.
  4. Start the VM again.

but sadly the VM do not boot any longer and when I go to the console is just shows "mapping table..." and a "press ESC in one second ..." text rather than booting and no network interfaces are displayed on the VM main page.

I even tried moving the directory back and changing the VM definition back but with the same result i.e. still no boot 😞

I tried running "qemu-img check" on the image and this did not find any errors.

May I still somehow have destroyed the VM just by moving it or what may have happened? Any tips on things to try?

Edited by NAS-newbie
4 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Verify the disk type defined in the xml is correct, I seem to remember someone saying it reverted to raw instead of qcow or something like that.

Thanks amazing advice - changed type back to qcow2 and now it works again. Is it not a bug that this is "silently" changed if you simply change the disk location?!