Drive letters don't correspond to drive location. Please Help.[SOLVED]

Hello all. I have set up my Norco 4220 like Raj recommended below. However none of the drive letters seem to correspond with the actual drive locations. Is there a way that I can do this without physically moving everything around? I appreciate any help.

The drives aren't numbered in any particular order.  You get to choose how to number them.  This is what I recommend, but feel free to change it as you wish:

Parity | Disk1 | Disk2 | Disk3/Cache

Disk4 | Disk5 | Disk6 | Disk7

Disk8 | Disk9 | Disk10 | Disk11

Disk12 | Disk13 | Disk14 | Disk15

Disk16 | Disk17 | Disk 18 | Disk19

The reason for this pattern is that your parity and cache drive (if used) should be connected directly to the motherboard.  When I build servers in this case, I always hook up the motherboard to the top row.  However, it doesn't matter one bit if you want to use a different row for the motherboard ports, it is up to you.

Hello all. I have set up my Norco 4220 like Raj recommended below. However none of the drive letters seem to correspond with the actual drive locations. Is there a way that I can do this without physically moving everything around? I appreciate any help.

Do nto worry about the drive letters and trying to make them "line up" with the disk numbers.  The drive letters can change between boots so lining them up could mean nothing down the road.

Honestly. i just assigned the drives in the web portal. started the array..

after it created parity, i stopped the array, got a screen shot of the web portal with all the disk#'s and Serials.

I then pulled all the drives from the norco, stuck a piece of masking tape on the top of the pull out in the space before the drive. wrote with a sharpie the disk# and last 4 of serial#.

(you could label the front of each tray if you want. I like the clean look. so i didn't. If they are in order, i can just count bays..)

I then put them all back into the 4224 in a logical order:

Top row: Parity, Cache, Empty, Empty

Second Row: 1, 2 ,3, 4

Third Row:5, 6, etc..

The 2 Empty, i can leave empty or use for warm spare, app drive,  etc...

for the 4220, i would either put the parity and cache on the top wasted space  above the array

2.5/dvd mount area:

Parity, Cache

row1:

1, 2, 3, 4

Row2

row5

OR..

or put them as the last 2 drives so you would have:

row1:

1, 2, 3, 4

Row2

row5

17,18,Cache,Parity

Anyways.. it is whatever makes sense to you so you can find a drive easily when one blows.

I'm not sure what you're describing. The locations would be random because you assigned them randomly. You could easily physically move the hard drives into some order you want and then assign them all to the proper disk locations. unRAID uses the hard drive serial number, not the physical location. So, you track the serial numbers as you locate and assign the drives to get the physical order and the unRAID order to match how you want them.

If you ~really~ don't want to physically move the drives then you could re-assign them all in unRAID so they are in order (assuming you know the physical order vs serial number of each drive) and initialize the array. Just know the parity protection is lost until it gets rebuilt and you may have to adjust the share settings if you allow certain shares to only use certain disks.

Peter

@mikejp

Thanks for the pictures, I appreciate them. Good guide for me.

@lionelhutz

I'm just setting up so I don't have any data on the drives yet, so moving them around wouldn't be an issue, but I haven't moved them since I installed them into the norco, and the drive letters were all screwed up. I would love to have everything in order, I suppose it's the 'Ole Marine in me. Is there a step by step way to do it or like prostuff1 don't even worry cause everytime I would boot up the server the drive letters will change?

Is there a step by step way to do it or like prostuff1 don't even worry cause everytime I would boot up the server the drive letters will change?

I understand the want to try and make them line up but it truly is a futile effort in the long run.  You may get it working now with 6 drives installed and then you add drive 7 and the drive letters end up changing because the new disk responds slightly faster than one that is currently in the array.

It really is a crap shoot and is not worth the time in trying to get it "working." You should not really even care about the /dev/sdX related lettering.

OK, you will see a drive designation like sda, sdb etc which corresponds somewhat to the connected SATA port. This assignment can change when you boot the server or when you add more disks. However, this is the low level device designation and for all intents and purposes it does not matter one bit in unRAID. You would only need to know this if you have fairly serious array trouble and have to do some low level disk troubleshooting.

You are the one who assigns the drives as disk1, disk2, disk3 etc and that assignment will not change when you boot the server. Each physical hard drive has a serial number and you use the drop-down to assign the hard drive, via serial number, to the disk#. You can do this in a certain physical order so the disk list in unRAID matches the physical location. You could do as suggested and go row by row. You could also go column by column like below.

P  5  10  15  
1  6  11  16
2  7  12  17
3  8  13  18
4  9  14  C

In my case, I have a tower with 8 drive slots and my disks physically are installed as parity, disk1 to disk5, empty and cache from top to bottom, just how they are assigned as devices in unRAID.

Peter

Archived