Disk possibly corrupted but status still shows as normal?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello, I noticed the other day that a number of my media files were inaccessible within Plex. I investigated and found that these certain files no longer showed at all within the media folder. After looking into it I found that disk6 shows in midnight commander in red as "?disk6" and when I click on it I get a message saying "Cannot read directory contents". All the other disks appear to be functioning normally.

Does this mean that disk6 is corrupted? What could have caused this/what can be done to prevent it in the future? If so, am I able to remove the drive and rebuild using parity data on a new or even the same disk to recover my files?

If the disk is corrupted, why would the disk still show as normal/green from within Unraid?

Thanks for the help any and all assistance is appreciated! I've attached my diagnostics I just pulled.

Edit:

I reviewed the logs and I keep seeing these repeated, among other errors:

emhttpd: error: get_fs_sizes, 6081: Input/output error (5): statfs: /mnt/user/downloads

sys_disk_free: VFS disk_free failed. Error was : Input/output error

smbd[25122]:   chdir_current_service: vfs_ChDir(/mnt/user/Hyperspin) failed: Input/output error.

I'm thinking I need to run xfs_repair on disk6 but I want to confirm there's nothing I should do first. If I need to run xfs_repair, I should be using this command correct?

xfs_repair -v /dev/md6

tower-diagnostics-20230425-1300.zip

Edited by highgear
26 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Check filesystem on disk6.

Ok thanks. I just tried to run xfs_repair within the GUI using the -v command and got this error after a bit:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 33370936 bytes) in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(693) : eval()'d code on line 895

23 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Try on the CLI, array must still be started in maintenance mode:

xfs_repair -v /dev/md6

Thanks! Ok that ran and completed without any errors. Now that disk has 1.2+TB free whereas before I'd guess it only had <200gb free. There's also a bunch of files in a new lost+found folder.

Should I continue using this disk? Is there anything I can do to recover the lost files assuming I don't have a backup of this disk? Anything I should do moving forward to prevent this? 

1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

Disk looks OK, filesystem corruption can happen independent of the disk heath, check the lost + found folder or restore from a backup.

Ok thanks. Unfortunately no backup for the media files. If I pulled the disk and did a rebuild from parity what would happen?

21 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Parity cannot help with filesystem corruption, assuming it's in sync it would rebuild the same thing.

Gotcha that's what I thought. How can I prevent this in the future? This is the second time I've lost a significant amount of data due to filesystem corruption. I recently swapped to all new SATA cables but I suppose the damage could have already occurred.

I use a Supermicro mb and a solid Seasonic PSU w/ server grade RAM. Should I run memtest?

12 hours ago, JorgeB said:

If you're using ECC RAM unlikely that the problem is there, any unclean shutdowns? Could also be something in the storage subsystem.

Ok I am using ECC so good to know. No unclean shutdowns in at least 3-4 months. I thought as long as parity checks came back ok everything was fine?

What would I look for in the storage subsystem? Thanks

13 hours ago, itimpi said:

That just means that parity agrees at the bit level with what is on the drives, not that there is no corruption at the file system level.   I would recommend running a file system check (and repair if needed) on all drives.

Ok thanks for explaining. So what command do you recommend using first? Just -n?

Run this on all drives in maintenance mode, even parity? Thanks again.

45 minutes ago, highgear said:

Ok thanks for explaining. So what command do you recommend using first? Just -n?

Run this on all drives in maintenance mode, even parity? Thanks again.

I would definitely start with the -n option to see if there are any obvious problems.   You can always repeat later without the -n option.  The tests should not take long if the drives are in xfs format.

Parity has no file system so you cannot run a check on it.