Suggestion on storage setup

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello,

I'm new in the Unraid world so I want to understand if my "plan" is doable or not, or even if doable I want to know if there is any strategy better then what I planned.

In my server I have this disks:

2 x 500GB NVME

2 x 12TB HDD

2 x 2TB SATA SSD

My "plan" is:

- configure the NVME as cache for the all files which should be moved in the array by the mover, but it should also store the all the docker images I will use in my environment within the docker-required storage (container's DBs and assets)

- configure the 2 SATA SSD as a storage pool which will store all files that must be accessed quickly (for example pictures and nextcloud data)

- configure the 2 HDD as my array, which will store Linux ISOs, backups and similar

Is this a good idea? Is it even doable?

Regarding the 2 pools I have in mind: both of them should be mirrored (I would like RAID1, since both of them are made by 2 disks of the same size). It's not clear to me where (in the GUI) I can set up the in RAID1 for the 2 cache pools. Is there any reference in the doc about this? I wasn't able to find it here

Thanks in advance for your help!

5 hours ago, quietwalker said:

It's not clear to me where (in the GUI) I can set up the in RAID1 for the 2 cache pools.

When you set up multiple drives in a cache pool it will default to RAID1 if using btrfs.  You can dynamically change the profile used by a btrfs pool while it is running if you want some other profile.

9 hours ago, itimpi said:

When you set up multiple drives in a cache pool it will default to RAID1 if using btrfs

Thanks for the clarification! So I should just add the 2 devices in the 2 slots and then Unraid will automatically create the RAID1 configuration.

Regarding the setup do you think it's ok to use a dedicate 2nd pool as fast-storage for the files I need more? Or is there any other more efficient way to achieve this goal?

As I wrote I would use the 2 SSD of 2TB to archive files which I plan to use more and I don't wont to turn on the spinning disks to avoid delay.

Is it ok?