Errors on Array, Unable to Shutdown

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I was in the process of upgrading a hard drive when I woke up this morning and had 921 errors across the array. I had pulled the drive, replaced with the new one and was preclearing that when this occurred. It also seems to be stuck, as I went to stop the array and it just says "stopping". I can't shutdown or restart at this point. On the dashboard, my processor is also running at 90%, which I've never seen before. Diagnostics attached.

tower-diagnostics-20230428-0517.zip

ok, swapped a couple drives. Disk 9 is now found and Disk 13 is missing. Looks like whatever is attached to that port is showing up as missing. 

Would this be the root cause of why there were errors across the array this morning, or is this just collateral damage and there's more to it?

Edit: Apparently I forgot to plug the SATA cable back in. Plugged it in and all discs are up and running now

Edited by johngalt
I'm an idiot

Updated prior post. Array is up and running. New diagnostics attached.

What should my next steps be? My new disk was 90% through step 5 of the preclear when everything crashed. Should I replace that drive with the old one and run a parity check before continuing?

I wouldn't have normally had the array up and running with a missing disk, but my wife is nursing and wants to watch Friends, so I made an exception. 

tower-diagnostics-20230428-0803.zip

Edited by johngalt

ok, I'll pull that and RMA it. In the meantime is there any harm in putting the old drive back in? It's giving me the message "The replacement disk must be as big or bigger than the original.". I assume I need to do a New Config and preserve all. Am I going to mess anything up in doing that? Or should I just wait for the new drive to come in? We're going to be out of town for the next week anyway, so it won't be a big deal to just wait it out. I was thinking I'd like to get the old drive in to confirm the problems do lie with the new drive.

Edited by johngalt

Thanks for all the help. Went ahead and ordered the card and SFF8643 cables.

At this point, are these just false errors due to the controller or is there a possibility my data was  corrupted? Once I get the new card up and going, I just need to rebuild parity and then go through the normal drive replacement for the new 18tb drive?

Edited by johngalt
  • 2 weeks later...