Disabled drive

Hi everyone.

In my Array , I have three disks, including my parity which is 4TB, Disk1 has faulted and has been disabled, I've ordered two new drives, these are 8TB. So basically my question is, as my new drive is larger than my original parity, will i be able to change the parity first then rebuild, then change the failed Disk1 and rebuild. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, BuckOff said:

Hi everyone.

In my Array , I have three disks, including my parity which is 4TB, Disk1 has faulted and has been disabled, I've ordered two new drives, these are 8TB. So basically my question is, as my new drive is larger than my original parity, will i be able to change the parity first then rebuild, then change the failed Disk1 and rebuild. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Probably worth noting that more often than not when a drive gets disabled then the problem is not with the drive itself, but with the power or SATA cabling to the drive.   If you post your system’s diagnostics zip file then you are likely to get feedback on the what the drive health looks like.  You can also test it by clicking on the drive on the Main tab and running the extended SMART test - if it passes that the drive is probably fine.

As to you actual question the way to proceed in your use case is to use the Parity Swap process documented in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

Probably worth noting that more often than not when a drive gets disabled then the problem is not with the drive itself, but with the power or SATA cabling to the drive.   If you post your system’s diagnostics zip file then you are likely to get feedback on the what the drive health looks like.    You can also test it by clicking on the drive on the Main tab and running the extended SMART test - if it passes that the drive is probably fine.

As to you actual question the way to proceed in your use case is to use the Parity Swap process documented here in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page.

Hi, cheers for the quick reply, it originally started throwing errors up, and as its an old pre used drive just thought I'd change them, I've got a couple of new SATA cable being delivered also.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look through it.