New Unraid Build - NUC9Extreme, LSI 9400 HBA and QNAP JBOD

Hello Everyone, 

I would love your thoughts and opinions on a new Unraid server that I am considering. 

I primarily use Unraid as a media storage and plex server. I currently have an i3-4130 with 16GB of RAM that can have trouble transcoding single stream x265 movies when watching remotely. It also has trouble when a couple of family members stream remotely at the same time. 

I have access to an Intel NUC9 Extreme i9-9980HK with 16GB of RAM through work. It is a tiny little powerhouse with a single PCIe x16 (Gen3) slot. I was thinking about pairing it with a LSI-9400-16e that would go into the PCIe x16 (Gen3) slot and a QNAP TL-D1600S JBOD Storage Enclosure for all the hard drives. 

My thought was that this could be a spiffy, small form factor Unraid server to last a while, that could be easily moved if needed, with enough power to run Plex transcodes and maybe a VM or two. Is this a good idea? Or will the CPU and HBA card not be enough, and I should focus on a solution that has two PCIe x16 slots so I can add an Nvidia GPU for transcoding? 

I would love to know your thoughts!

Thank you for your help!

QNAP TL-D1600S JBOD Storage Enclosure is some kind SATA enclosure solution, you always need 4 cable for 12 disks and those cable can't too long. SAS ( can use SATA disks ) always recommend.

You may got some problem with those enclosure

Thank you for your reply!

I actually picked the QNAP TL-D1600S JBOD paired with the LSI-9400-16e (rather than using its included controller) based on post from a brilliant member of the community... YOU :) In this thread here, at the very bottom:

If you think I will have problems with the QNAP TL-D1600S, I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board. 

Thank you for your help!

• 8 months later...
On 5/2/2023 at 10:43 AM, UnRaid_11318 said:

Thank you for your reply!

I actually picked the QNAP TL-D1600S JBOD paired with the LSI-9400-16e (rather than using its included controller) based on post from a brilliant member of the community... YOU :) In this thread here, at the very bottom:

If you think I will have problems with the QNAP TL-D1600S, I guess I'll have to go back to the drawing board. 

Thank you for your help!

Were you ever able to get the QNAP TL-D1600S functional in Unraid? I can't seem to find anyone that has confirmed proper connectivity using SFF-8088. I'd really like to pull the trigger on one and couple it with the new Minisforum MS-01 mini PC to reduce my server footprint and power utilization.

• 3 weeks later...

The original D1600S definitely used a Marvel chipset, but as per the QNAP website it got an update and any model produced after February 2022 includes a different HBA card which is called the QXP-1600eS-A1164. While not specifically mentioned, A1164 very likely refers to the ASM1164 controller made by ASMedia, which should be fully supported by unRAID.

Source: https://www.qnap.com/en/product/tl-d1600s

Starting in February 2022, the package includes QXP-1600eS-A1164 expansion card (previously QXP-1600eS) and four 1M SFF-8088 to SFF-8644 cables.

I will likely order the D1600S at some point, so will update once I have it set up. 

• 3 months later...