Very specific share management - Help needed!

I have a share on my UnRAID server called Media Share (\\SERVER\Media Share). I have all of my movies & TV episodes stored there (under the subdirectories 'Movies' and 'TVSeries'). The actual files are stored on most of the drives on my server but they appear as one directory thanks to the Media Share share.

I use a number of media playback devices (Dune players) and a media management system called Zappiti. For Zappiti to work with the Dune player I need to have a database stored in the same share as the media. However, for instant access, I added an SSD to my array (disk8), created the same Media Share directory (\\SERVER\Media Share) and set up a subdirectory called Zappiti for the Zappiti application to write the database to. The idea is - while the rest of the disks in the array will spin down, the media database directory (stored on the SSD) will always be available.

The problem is, each time I add a media item to the database Zappiti needs to write the changes to the \\Server\Media Share\Zappiti share, NOT directly to the SSD (\\SERVER\disk8\Media Share\Zappiti). However, if I write to the \\SERVER\Media Share\Zappiti share, UnRAID will often CREATE the Zappiti subdirectory on another disk defeating the purpose of having the SSD in the first place!

Is there ANY way I can ensure UnRAID will only write the database to disk 8 (via \\SERVER\Media Share\Zappiti)? I thought that only having the Zappiti sub-directory on disk8 would 'force' UnRAID to write it there, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

For what it's worth, getting the Zappiti application to write to the Media Share share is the ONLY time I write to the share. When I add files the the movies or TVSeries directories I always write to the disk NOT the share.

ANY help is appreciated!

Is there ANY way I can ensure UnRAID will only write the database to disk 8 (via \\SERVER\Media Share\Zappiti)? I thought that only having the Zappiti sub-directory on disk8 would 'force' UnRAID to write it there, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

I think that would only work when you set the user share to split level 0 (the special case). You'd then need to create the Zappiti directory only on the SSD and the Movies and TVSeries directory on all other disks you want to include. Keep in mind that writes to any disk in the array will still require writes to the parity disk as well, so you'll always be waiting for that even when writing to the SSD.

I'm not entirely sure when split level 0 was introduced, you may need to upgrade.

There is no way for unRAID to know which particular files you desire to go on a particular disk within a share. The simple solution is to copy the database manually to disk8. unRAID will not move files once written. Turn on disk shares or telnet to make the copy.

Oh dear. That's what I was afraid of.

Looks like I'll have to find a more creative solution.

Thanks

Zappitti user here too, but only one dune currently so my database in on a USB stick.

I think this would work for your scenario.

1.  In the Zappitti software, set your sharepath using the diskshare via the full network path.  IE \\SERVER\disk8\Media Share\Zappiti.  That way when it writes, it goes specifically to disk8. 

2. Then set the individual Dune players to open zappiti via the user share "Media Share." They would access the same location and you only have one share open at a time via the dune.

That's a good idea as long as Zappati only needs access to disk8. Turn on disk share for disk 8 and access the database there. The Dune players can access a user share which includes disk8.

Zappiti will also need to scan through the media files, but you provide that share path separately.

Zappitti user here too, but only one dune currently so my database in on a USB stick.

I think this would work for your scenario.

1.  In the Zappitti software, set your sharepath using the diskshare via the full network path.  IE \\SERVER\disk8\Media Share\Zappiti.  That way when it writes, it goes specifically to disk8. 

2. Then set the individual Dune players to open zappiti via the user share "Media Share." They would access the same location and you only have one share open at a time via the dune.

Believe it or not, I already tried that. Frustratingly, that does not work. Oh, it writes the Zappiti database to disk8 OK, but then when you then direct the Duneplayer to the Zappiti database via media share none of the files work!...regardless of whether I use the shortcut on the Favourites page OR using the file browser to go to the Media Share directory on the server.

The really stupid thing is, that if I write the database through the Media Share, and at the moment it always writes to disk3, and then I copy the files across to disk8, it works just fine! But that adds a LOT of overhead.

At the end of the day I'm being stymied by THREE separate limitations:

1) Dune's limitation means I have to write the Zappiti database to a specific location or it won't work

2) UnRAID's limitation means I can't direct Zappiti to write to the Media Share directory and direct it specifically to disk8 (although it's slightly unfair to call that a limitation of UnRAID)

3) Zappiti's limitation means I can't write the database directly to disk8 because it must be somehow changing the database in some way if I do that, that prevents it working

I'm about ready to tear my hair out here! What I thought would be a simple change has ended up becoming a major exercise in frustration!

When you set the database location to the disk 8 path, at the same time did you set the media locations (the directory zappiti scans) and each ones share path to access via the Media share (user share)? If you use disk 8 in all locations it would not work.'

When I am home tomorrow I can probably explain this better when I have the interface in front of me.

No, I understand what you mean, and that's what I did. This is how I set it up....

Share Path: \\SERVER\disk8\Media Share\Zappiti

Movies Path: \\SERVER\Media Share\Media\Movies

TV Path : \\SERVER\Media Share\Media\TVSeries

Honestly, it doesn't work.

If I change the Share Path to \\SERVER\Media Share\Zappiti it works fine BUT doesn't write it to disk8

No, I understand what you mean, and that's what I did. This is how I set it up....

Share Path: \\SERVER\disk8\Media Share\Zappiti

Movies Path: \\SERVER\Media Share\Media\Movies

TV Path : \\SERVER\Media Share\Media\TVSeries

Honestly, it doesn't work.

If I change the Share Path to \\SERVER\Media Share\Zappiti it works fine BUT doesn't write it to disk8

Well, I tried it at home tonight and it seemed to work fine.  I set up a temp folder on my disk5 under "movies" folder, mapped to it direct for a share path, and then accessed it through the movies share, and everything worked.

Try to copy your files somewhere temporarily, double check everything and then re-create them.  Make sure the re-write path is correct.  Also using anything other than the "guest" account always caused me issues with Zappiti.  I had to create "guest" on unRAID with no password to get Zappiti to work.

If none of that ever works, I was thinking the next option would be to create the zappiti database one folder deeper in the folder structure than you allow unRAID to share across drives.  In your case:

If split level is 2, than you would have: \\SERVER\disk8\Media Share\Zappiti\Zappiti

You could drill down deeper if needed.  then map the share folder to last zappiti folder and it shouldn't put it anywhere else as long as you are deeper than your split level.

Hopefully one of those will work.

If you use split level 0 then the Zappiti directory you create on disk8 would have to remain there. However, you would have to manually create directories for other data. This isn't too hard, you should just have to create the Media Share, Movies and TVSeries directories when you add a new disk.

If you used say split level 2 and then put the file into a directory such as \\Server\Media Share\Zappiti\Zappiti then the final location would not be allowed to split and would have to remain on the disk where you first created.

In either case, get rid of any duplicate directories that are remaining because they can mess things up.

Also, I believe you should mount the SSD outside of the array and then put a link in the share which points to it's location, that way the parity doesn't need to spin-up when accessing the files on the SSD.

Peter

Archived