Cache drive in a pool possible dead, not sure what my next steps are

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello all,

I got a weird email so I logged into one of my Unraid boxes and found that I think sdb, one of the cache drives, might have died. I honestly have no idea what my next steps would be. I am attaching what I have for logs here.

Right now the server is up and seems fine. I am hesitant to take any steps without checking in because I don't want to make it worse - I'm not sure if the disk is just unmounted, or of it's dead, or... what.

Thank you!

min-syslog-20230509-0436.zip min-smart-20230508-2333.zip min-diagnostics-20230508-2345.zip min-smart-20230508-2349.zip

May  7 04:03:56 Min kernel: ata1.00: disabled

Cache device dropped offline, this is most often a connection issue, since you have a couple of NOCOW shares you need to be careful with those, looks like there are no VMs, do you have anything important in the system or domains shares?

• Solution

It's an option you have for shares on btrfs storage, it defaulted to NOCOW for system shares with some previous Unraid releases, but can be dangerous with raid1, if there's nothing there, just check/replace cables on the device that dropped then run a scrub on the pool.

OK - I am going to go do that now. 

When I do the scrub, should I check the box for "repair corrupted blocks" or not?

Thank you again for holding my hand through this, I really appreciate it. I have replaced disks in the array many time no problem but this is the first time I have had to deal with issues with the cache pool so I feel especially lost.

Thanks again. Everything is good now.

• I reseated my cables. This reconnected the drive. I see a CRC errror count of 6. If this climbs, I will replace the cables and maybe plug into a different port.
  • I ran the scrub and repaired corrupted blocks.
  • I stopped docker, deleted my image, and restarted docker. Then, I reinstalled my apps from the "previously installed" spot. Very easy.

I really appreciate your help.

• Like 1