Sync pictures and videos from 2 phones

DanielPT

Hi all

Im using plex to show pictures/videos from my phone when outside my network.

I also uses Samsungs photo app.

But i want to backup my pictures on my phone to my unraid server.

But i think nextcloud is way to complex. I just want it to sync my pictures and videos from the phones to the unraid server.

Is syncthing the way to go? Any better solutions?

Thanks!

Be aware that syncting is not actually a backup tool. The purpose is to sync files and folders across all connected devices.

So, when you delete photos on your phone, because it's storage is full, the folders ar not synced anymore and syncthing will spit out warnings.

You can configure syncthing to ignore this but it is not it's intended use. That's why i use resillio. It has a 'backup folder' option built in. However, you can setup file versioning in syncthing and use it as a backup.

Also, read the syncthing docs! Files can be deleted quickly if you set it up wrong.

Basically everyone's suggestion here is correct in one way or another.

As Aran points out, syncthing is a synchronization tool.  It's sort of like a backup in the sense that you have another copy somewhere else and it's even possible to snapshot the data but it's not a true backup.

The reason why all the suggestions are right is because you need to get the data off the phone and syncthing is the easiest way to do that.  Set it up so that your phone is a device and your unRAID server is a device and then link the pictures on your phone to a folder on your unRAID server.  That will mirror the pictures from the phone to the unRAID server.

Next, you should set up duplicacy or Vorta and then back up the pictures folder that's on the unRAID server.  That's the true backup and those products will create efficient snapshots for you (using deduplication).

So, whenever you take a picture on the phone it's get synchronized to the unRAID server and then backed up.  If you accidentally delete a picture on the phone then that deletion is synchronized to the unRAID server and the file is deleted but Duplicacy/Vorta will have a snapshot of that picture from a previous backup (assuming the backups are frequent enough).  You can then restore the picture from the backup.

If you care about your "stuff" then use nextcloud, despite it being complex (maybe it's complex for a reason?).

If you don't care, use MegaDrive, or Google Drive, or Microsoft Drive, or Samsung Drive, or Apple Drive, or Amazon Drive, or FreeDrive (<-- does that one exist?)

As soon as you trust anything outside of your control; you give up all control.

MrGrey.