Disks in error state - is my controller dying?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi guys,

Slightly panicked here now 🥲

I've installed a Coral TPU in the M.2 slot, and discovered that using the second m.2 slot disables a couple of my SATA-ports. No worries, I had more slots on my SAS-controller so I moved the SATA disks over there. 

Now I must have been careless with a couple of cables because after booting I still could't find the disks. I re-seated cables and tried again. Array went up fine, but after a short while Disk 3 and Disk 9 errored out and was emulated. I rebooted, did short SMART tests and then started a re-build. Disk 3 finished first (on account of being just 4TB), but again errored out while Disk 9 was being rebuilt. 

Seeing as Disk 3 was my oldest and smallest disk I decided to buy a new and just replace it. 

However when I'm currently preclearing this new drive I see Disk 10 error out which has me very concerned. I'm in the midst of a big preclear / rebuild and I'm without parity protection. 

I'm attaching diagnostics that I fetched yesterday (when the old Disk 3 was still present) and current diagnostics which is during the rebuild. Any advice on my course of action to maximize likelyhood of success would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20230511-1908.zip

tower-diagnostics-20230510-2236.zip

Edited by Fredrick

Ah yea I'd forgot about that. I've actually got a new (well used but newer) PSU lying around, maybe this is the right time to get it swapped in (after preclear and rebuild of disk 3 I guess). 

Any other tips other than just having it preclear and rebuild without touching the server at all risking a new jank to appear?