We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Unable to boot Unraid after restart

I wanted to add a bigger parity drive to my server so I first upgraded my Unraid license to the Pro version as I was at my drive limit, stopped the array and entered the license key, and added a new drive. After bringing up the array I started a preclear on the new drive. I noticed that during the preclear the Docker tab was no longer visible and there was an error message on the main page. I didn't write down the exact error message but I believe it had something to do with the dockers. I figured I would wait until the preclear was done and then reboot the server to see if that fixed the error message and the disappearing Docker tab. (As a separate issue that I won't try and address just yet, in addition to that error messages some of my shares got messed up. I had a couple of shares that were only allowed to use a specific drive but now those two shares were using all array drives. This issue I will deal with after I get the server up and running).

After the preclear was finished I tried stopping the array but would get the message to,  "retry unmounting disk share(s)". I left it for a good 30 minutes and the array still wasn't stopped. Checking the logs and it looked like Disk 1 was "busy" and couldn't be unmounted:

May 22 10:21:05 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (844908): umount /mnt/disk1
May 22 10:21:05 Tower root: umount: /mnt/disk1: target is busy.
May 22 10:21:05 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (844908): exit status: 32
May 22 10:21:05 Tower emhttpd: Retry unmounting disk share(s)...

I ended up shutting the server down with a "powerdown" command. However, the server will now not boot. Connecting a monitor to the server and during boot I get an error message of:

Media test failure, check cable

I tried moving the usb key to another usb port. I also looked in the BIOS to disable secure/fast boot but couldn't find either option in my Supermicro BIOS.

I believe I have a backup of the USB key, but of course, it's on the array which I don't have access to :( Is my only option to make a new USB boot drive? Will I have to redo all my settings (shares, VM's, dockers, etc...)?

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

That is a bad sign :(  This suggests the flash drive may have failed.

Yeah, that's a bummer.

I'm pretty sure that I have a recent USB backup on the array. Should I make a new Unraid USB boot drive and then bring up the array and see if I can then copy the config folder from the backup over to the USB drive?

My server is running Unraid 6.8.2, does it matter what version I install on the USB drive? I don't see that version as available using the Unraid USB creator.

When I boot the first time after creating the Unraid USB boot drive, will Unraid know what drive is my parity drive and what are my data drives and unassigned drives? Is there a guide I can follow to get everything back up and running?

Edited by MrDatum

I have a screenshot showing my drive assignments but I just want to make sure that if I boot using a newly created Unraid boot drive that none of the existing data will be corrupted during the first boot. Will the array be offline when I first boot, allowing me to assign the data and parity drives before I then bring the array online?

Does my idea make sense of booting into the server with a new boot drive so that I can find my USB backup that I believe to be saved to the array, and then copy that config folder over to the boot drive? Assuming my backup is recent, would that get my Unraid server back to what it was? Also, does it matter if I create the new boot drive with a more recent version of Unraid than what my server is currently configured with?

Edited by MrDatum
10 hours ago, MrDatum said:

Will the array be offline when I first boot, allowing me to assign the data and parity drives before I then bring the array online?

yes

Does my idea make sense of booting into the server with a new boot drive so that I can find my USB backup that I believe to be saved to the array, and then copy that config folder over to the boot drive?

yes

Assuming my backup is recent, would that get my Unraid server back to what it was?

yes

Also, does it matter if I create the new boot drive with a more recent version of Unraid than what my server is currently configured with?

no

I have a screenshot showing my drive assignments

that's all you need to get the array running, make sure you tick the "parity is already valid" box.

Since the final moments of the server running were a little chaotic, you probably need to do a parity check, but that can wait until you recover your backup.

Thanks for help, I'm getting there!

I created a new boot drive and after booting and assigning the drives to the correct drive slots I was able to find a backup of my USB boot drive that was only a couple of days old. I copied over that config folder to the new boot drive and transferred the key to the new drive and the server is back up. However, there are some issues that I still need to sort out.

1. I have two SSD cache drives but they are now showing as unassigned devices.

2. None of my VM's are showing. The VM tab isn't present in the UI.

3. None of my dockers (plex, sonarr, radarr, nzbget) are working. They all show as running but when I open the webUI it gives an error message of, "This site can't be reached". Checking the logs show "fatal error" for all of the dockers:

Sonarr:

GID/UID
-------------------------------------

User uid:    99
User gid:    100
-------------------------------------

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-config: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 30-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing... 
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[Info] Bootstrap: Starting Sonarr - /opt/NzbDrone/NzbDrone.exe - Version 2.0.0.5338 
[Info] AppFolderInfo: Data directory is being overridden to [/config] 
w32error-unix.c: unknown error (123) "No medium found"
[Trace] DiskProviderBase: Directory '/config' isn't writable. Win32 IO returned 50. Path: /config/sonarr_write_test.txt 

[Debug] X509CertificateValidationPolicy: Certificate validation for https://sentry.sonarr.tv/api/8/store/ failed. RemoteCertificateChainErrors 
[Fatal] ConsoleApp: EPIC FAIL! 

[v2.0.0.5338] NzbDrone.Common.Exceptions.SonarrStartupException: Sonarr failed to start: AppFolder /config is not writable
  at NzbDrone.Common.EnvironmentInfo.AppFolderFactory.Register () [0x0007c] in M:\BuildAgent\work\5d7581516c0ee5b3\src\NzbDrone.Common\EnvironmentInfo\AppFolderFactory.cs:50 
  at NzbDrone.Host.Bootstrap.Start (NzbDrone.Common.EnvironmentInfo.StartupContext startupContext, NzbDrone.Host.IUserAlert userAlert, System.Action`1[T] startCallback) [0x00050] in M:\BuildAgent\work\5d7581516c0ee5b3\src\NzbDrone.Host\Bootstrap.cs:36 
  at NzbDrone.Console.ConsoleApp.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00029] in M:\BuildAgent\work\5d7581516c0ee5b3\src\NzbDrone.Console\ConsoleApp.cs:37 

Press enter to exit...
Non-recoverable failure, waiting for user intervention...
[Info] Bootstrap: Starting Sonarr - /opt/NzbDrone/NzbDrone.exe - Version 2.0.0.5338 
[Info] AppFolderInfo: Data directory is being overridden to [/config] 
w32error-unix.c: unknown error (123) "No medium found"
[Trace] DiskProviderBase: Directory '/config' isn't writable. Win32 IO returned 50. Path: /config/sonarr_write_test.txt 

[Debug] X509CertificateValidationPolicy: Certificate validation for https://sentry.sonarr.tv/api/8/store/ failed. RemoteCertificateChainErrors 
[Fatal] ConsoleApp: EPIC FAIL! 

[v2.0.0.5338] NzbDrone.Common.Exceptions.SonarrStartupException: Sonarr failed to start: AppFolder /config is not writable
  at NzbDrone.Common.EnvironmentInfo.AppFolderFactory.Register () [0x0007c] in M:\BuildAgent\work\5d7581516c0ee5b3\src\NzbDrone.Common\EnvironmentInfo\AppFolderFactory.cs:50 
  at NzbDrone.Host.Bootstrap.Start (NzbDrone.Common.EnvironmentInfo.StartupContext startupContext, NzbDrone.Host.IUserAlert userAlert, System.Action`1[T] startCallback) [0x00050] in M:\BuildAgent\work\5d7581516c0ee5b3\src\NzbDrone.Host\Bootstrap.cs:36 
  at NzbDrone.Console.ConsoleApp.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00029] in M:\BuildAgent\work\5d7581516c0ee5b3\src\NzbDrone.Console\ConsoleApp.cs:37 

Press enter to exit...
Non-recoverable failure, waiting for user intervention...

Plex:

PMS: failure detected. Read/write access is required for path: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server
PMS: failure detected. Read/write access is required for path: /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server
Starting Plex Media Server.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.
[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 01-envfile: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 01-envfile: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing... 

Is there something I overlooked that might be causing these issues?