Disk is Disabled - contents emulated

Go to solution Solved by smith844,

I am running Unraid 6.12.0-rc6 on a Alderlake Fanless 1235U PC.  I have just migrated a setup to this new server and run it for 48 hours with no problems.  Due to its small size and lack of internal drive bays I am running two USB 3 External 4TB spinning drives.  I have run it previously on an Intel NUC and it worked well and reliably for over 12 months, more lately with 6.12.0.rc6.  I came home yesterday to a 'disk is disabled' error on the data disk and am confused as to what to do next.  I have rebooted to no avail and taken the array offline to see if there is an error.  I have run extended smart test on the drive which it passed.  I have read the storage management page on the UNRAID docs but am unsure whether I should be attempting to rebuild onto itself (as it appears to not have 'failed') or replace the drive.  I have a parity drive so I should be able to replace the data drive without losing my data, but would value some advice. I have tried replacing the cables but with no change.  Should I replace the drive or attempt to build onto itself.  Any help greatly appreciated.  

betty-diagnostics-20230523-0912.zip

betty-smart-20230523-0934.zip

Edited by smith844
upload smart disk report

Disk was already disabled at last boot, so we can't see what happened, but the disk does look healthy, we don't recommend using USB for array/pool devices because it's usually not very reliable, and there are USB related errors in the log, you can try to rebuild but most likely it will happen again.

Thank you for the quick reply.  I absolutely understand the caution of not using USB devices, it suits the use case I have, and up until now it has been reliable(enough).  The fact I can rebuild my array (hopefully) from the parity drive means UNRAID has fulfilled what i need from it which is to have the data protected and have access to the docker containers, scripts and VM hosting, it really can't be beaten.  I have a fully pimped UNRAID server with SATA drives and NVME Cache which works great also, i just can't afford to run it 24/7 so I run this as a lightweight server and its been great, and I am learning as I go.  I will rebuild and see how I get on.