Fan Speed Maxes out when WebGUI is accessed too long

I have been having an issue on my unraid server where my Fans will be running just fine indefinitely while the WebGUI is never open.

However, if i should ever pull up the webGUI, after a few minutes the fans will suddenly max out on there speed, making my server start to scream.

This will either happen intermittently, maxing out then after several seconds to a few minutes cutting back down to normal speed again, just to do it all over again a few moments later... Or it will max out my fan speed and just leave it there permanently until i disconnect power and Power drain the system (Just rebooting the system does not resolve the issue if the fan speed locks at max, it HAS to be pulled from power to reset).

If the fans only max out intermittently, it will stop cycling up to max speed if i close out all webGUI windows.

So as long as the webGUI remains close, my server is quiet as a mouse..

Has anyone else had this issue? And if so, have you found a resolution for this??

• 1 month later...

The webGUI does seem to require a lot of CPU cycles.  Depending on your CPU, this could be resulting in the CPU using most of available computing power.  This will cause the CPU to use more power which translates to an increase in its temperature. 

Open up your case and inspect things for dust and dirt.  You CPU cooler may be clogged with it.  IF clean, give more details about the components in your system.  Tell us what temperatures are on the Dashboard page.  (Spin up the array and wait 15 minutes to see what the increases are.) 

EDIT:   You might want to consider replacing the fans with quieter ones...

Edited by Frank1940

Not a lot of details here to make a solid suggestion.  But it reminded me of a quirky thing I saw when setting up a backup server.

I have an old GT 710 I put in that server, just for setting it up, configuring BIOS, etc.  I noticed that one core would pin to 100% after waking it from sleep (server boots to Unraid GUI).  I found that the proc XORG was causing that core to max out.

As I had no plans to use the GPU for anything other than the Unraid dashboard, I hadn't bothered installing any driver for the GPU, and it was functioning as needed without it.  I ended up installing the Nvidia driver and set nvidia-persistenced, and it is now no longer an issue.  I don't know if this will help any, but something you can look into.

On 7/26/2023 at 7:53 AM, Frank1940 said:

The webGUI does seem to require a lot of CPU cycles.  Depending on your CPU, this could be resulting in the CPU using most of available computing power.  This will cause the CPU to use more power which translates to an increase in its temperature. 

Open up your case and inspect things for dust and dirt.  You CPU cooler may be clogged with it.  IF clean, give more details about the components in your system.  Tell us what temperatures are on the Dashboard page.  (Spin up the array and wait 15 minutes to see what the increases are.) 

EDIT:   You might want to consider replacing the fans with quieter ones...

That was my first thought however my CPU usage is typically setting around 0% to 10% while in the WebGUI. I also clean my Server out on a regular basis and keep a large box fan against it in case temps where the issue as well. My CPU is typically between 25C to 45C and and my hard drives are typically between 25C to 35C So i dont see temps being hte issue.. so i figured that there was a bug in it...

So under the idea of a possible bug, i upgraded the OS from 6.9.2 to 6.12.3 however that cause my Fans to start ramping up to full blast even whenever i wasnt even logged into the WebGUI... so i have downgraded back down to 6.9.2...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 7/26/2023 at 9:25 AM, ConnerVT said:

Not a lot of details here to make a solid suggestion.  But it reminded me of a quirky thing I saw when setting up a backup server.

I have an old GT 710 I put in that server, just for setting it up, configuring BIOS, etc.  I noticed that one core would pin to 100% after waking it from sleep (server boots to Unraid GUI).  I found that the proc XORG was causing that core to max out.

As I had no plans to use the GPU for anything other than the Unraid dashboard, I hadn't bothered installing any driver for the GPU, and it was functioning as needed without it.  I ended up installing the Nvidia driver and set nvidia-persistenced, and it is now no longer an issue.  I don't know if this will help any, but something you can look into.

I dont use a GPU in my server, it is fully remote operated from my PC and has no containers or VMs that would necessitate a GPU.. Do you think testing i should try a driver anyways to see what happens? Im not seeing any of my cores getting pinned to 100%. At most, 1 random core will hit about 10% whenever i reload my WebGUI.