Lost my DSL, now using nieghbor's WiFi, now can't see unRAID server-I drew a pic

So I've lost my DSL, so in exchange for getting the family computer up and going, my upstairs neighbor is letting me leech off their cable modem setup. They didn't have a router so I used mine. My old setup was DSL modem -> Linksys router -> gigabit switch -> both unRAID server AND to my main computer. Now that the router is upstairs, only my main computer is connected to it by USB wireless adapter. I think what the problem is is that when unRAID server boots it no longer can obtain an IP from the DHCP server in the router. If this is the case, how to resolve it? Assign a static IP to the unRAID server? How to do that? And how to undo it as I'll be moving soon. I drew a pic to illustrate. I hope I've explained clearly, and advice is appreciated. Thanks.

currentsetup.jpg

I think what the problem is is that when unRAID server boots it no longer can obtain an IP from the DHCP server in the router.

Yes, that is almost certainly the problem.

You have two options:

1) Configure your main computer as gateway/router.

2) Configure your unRAID server for static/fixed IP - to do this it's probably easiest to take your usb drive to your main computer, and edit the file config/network.cfg

You will need to know what the configuration of the wired ethernet port is on your main computer.

I think what the problem is is that when unRAID server boots it no longer can obtain an IP from the DHCP server in the router.

Yes, that is almost certainly the problem.

You have two options:

1) Configure your main computer as gateway/router.

2) Configure your unRAID server for static/fixed IP - to do this it's probably easiest to take your usb drive to your main computer, and edit the file config/network.cfg

You will need to know what the configuration of the wired ethernet port is on your main computer.

OK, how to do all that? ???

If you still have access to the unRAID web gui, you can set a static IP there.  You can also log into your router and check the logs for a new IP - it is likely to be your unRAID server.  If all of that fails, then you can manually set up a static IP like this:

1) Access your unRAID flash drive by plugging it into another computer.

2) Browse to the config folder.  Open the 'network.cfg' file.

3) Manually edit the file using notepad or similar so that it looks something like this:

# Generated settings:
USE_DHCP=no
IPADDR=192.168.0.100
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.0.254
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV=
DNS_SERVER1=192.168.0.254
DNS_SERVER2=
DNS_SERVER3=

IPADDR will be the static IP of your server.  Gateway is the IP of your router.  Make sure your server is on the same kind of subnet as your router (some are xxx.xxx.0.xxx like the example above, some are xxx.xxx.1.xxx.  Apple routers are a third format.)

4) Save and close the file, safely eject the flash drive, and boot the server from it.  You should now be able to access the unRAID Web Gui at http://192.168.0.100/main.htm (assuming you are running unRAID 4.7, the betas will have this address: http://192.168.0.100/Main).

Have you set the PC so that it shares the internet connection?

The original poster said, above, that using his main computer as router/gateway wasn't an option.  We don;t even know what O/S is running on that computer.

However, as I understand it, that isn't necessary - perhaps not even desirable.  He may not wish for his unRAID server to be accessible to his neighbour.

By far the best solution would be for the wired connection on his main computer, and his unRAID server, to be set up on a separate network from his wifi connection to his neighbour's router.

If he would provide more information, I'm sure that, between us all, we could guide him in making the appropriate configuration settings on both machines.

The original poster said, above, that using his main computer as router/gateway wasn't an option.  We don;t even know what O/S is running on that computer.

However, as I understand it, that isn't necessary - perhaps not even desirable.  He may not wish for his unRAID server to be accessible to his neighbour.

By far the best solution would be for the wired connection on his main computer, and his unRAID server, to be set up on a separate network from his wifi connection to his neighbour's router.

If he would provide more information, I'm sure that, between us all, we could guide him in making the appropriate configuration settings on both machines.

Thank You. I've tried to have all the relevant information, and I thought drawing a picture of the network setup would help. What I'm trying to accomplish is this:

I am leeching internet off my upstairs neighbor. This is, as stated in my OP, with their permission. To do this I've hooked up MY wireless router to their cable modem, and I use a USB wireless adapter for my main computer. I do NOT have a wired Ethernet connection to the router, so in order to access the router I must wait for neighbors to be home and go up and use their computer to access router. I have my unRAID server connected to a wired gigabit switch, and my main computer is connected to the same gigabit switch. I would like to be able to access my unRAID server from my main computer, but would prefer it NOT be accessible to neighbor.

everyone refer to the drawing, I tried to make it as clear and straightforward as I could. My computer is running XP, soon (2-3 days) to be replaced by a new computer running win 7. Thank you for any help.

Even with XP, I'm pretty sure you just bring-up the wireless network properties and click a check box to share the connection. I'm quite certain the PC will not allow anything on the LAN side to be seen by the wireless side.

Peter

and this solves what problem? How? Look I appreciate the try but I don't think you have a grasp on what specific help I need and what I need it for. Please go over my OP and my post above yours again, and you'll see what I'm saying. If I'm wrong and your post here solves my issue, then I'm an idiot for not seeing it. Which happens to me from time to time. :P

The original poster said, above, that using his main computer as router/gateway wasn't an option.  We don;t even know what O/S is running on that computer.

However, as I understand it, that isn't necessary - perhaps not even desirable.  He may not wish for his unRAID server to be accessible to his neighbour.

suggestions on this? I'll do some googlefu but I'm open to methods suggestions by members here....

Even with XP, I'm pretty sure you just bring-up the wireless network properties and click a check box to share the connection. I'm quite certain the PC will not allow anything on the LAN side to be seen by the wireless side.

Yes, but the problem here is that the router is not physically accessible, and is not always turned on - hence there is no DHCP server for much of the time.

If someone, familiar with Windows, could assist topcat with setting up the wired network with a private ip on a different subnet to that being used by the wireless connection, then the only other thing would be to configure the unRAID server to use a different address on that same subnet.  That will have to be achieved by connecting his unRAID flash drive to his windows pc and hand editing the network.cfg file - IPADDR and NETMASK only required, no gateway or dns.

Search the Windows help for Internet Connection Sharing.

I can't make it much clearer than this unless I actually did the setup myself. Fuck it, I might as well just do the search myself and find the instructions....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

Yes, but the problem here is that the router is not physically accessible, and is not always turned on - hence there is no DHCP server for much of the time.

I never read anything about the router not being on, just that it's not accessible. It doesn't matter anyways if the router is on or not.

Peter

It doesn't matter anyways if the router is on or not.

Err... where does the ip address come from, if the router (and DHCP server) is not on?

The unRAID server will have to be on a fixed ip, and that will have to be on the same subnet as the wired port on the windows pc.

WinXP includes a DHCP server?  That must cause confusion with multiple Windows machines on a network!

Yes, many versions of Windows include a DHCP server and no it doesn't cause any problems with multiple Windows machines on the network.

I suggest you actually do a google search and read about the subject instead of posting useless comments here...

Peter

Archived