mac / unraid samba madness

I don't know how many postings in the forum and on different websites I read to figure out how to get some acceptable performance when using macos with unraid. Still accessing folders on an unraid server with a mac needs real patience, the write (and read) performance simply sucks - sorry. Sometimes I "peak" to 60 mb/sec but most of the time I am around 25 mb/sec or "0"mb/sec when writing a file halts for some time (for whatever reasons). Also we have some degrading effect over time: A new booted Mac gets slower over time with copying files to unraid.

With my PC on the other hand everything runs smooth and fast. And on my Synology box I also have no samba issues with the mac.

I tried out all kinds of suggestions here in the forum. Some made things better, some worse, some didn't work at all. This problem is meanwhile  lasting for years - and as much as love the helpful community here this is not a problem the community has to figure out.

What is really needed is a "sticky" post here straight from Limetech with a definite "how to" for samba settings for mac use. And if samba is not useable for the upcoming future then give us a workaound with NFS and a "how to" for those shares (I have tried this but performance seems to be even worse).

• Like 1

I know this post. And your contributions to it are appreciated. But this is basically what I was describing. There are several solutions in this post and you have to invest hours to figure out what works and what does not work. Many users are not software engineers or unix experts. We need a definitive solution by Limetech how to make this work. And this should be sorted by macos version and Unraid version since there are all kinds of problems caused by different software versions. There are also tweaks on the Mac side that should be described in one place - documentation or sticky post.

And to my knowledge the main issue with this has not been addressed so far - the most time consuming part when copying files from Mac to Unraid is the moment when a file has basically been copied the the server and then some kind of halt / pause is happening - sometimes for over a minute - until the next file is copied to Unraid. Copying hundreds  of small files becomes unbearable by this behavior.

• Like 1