Installing UNRAID on a ReadyNas Ultra 4

• 2 weeks later...

I am using Unraid successfully on a ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 4GB memory. Had to buy one of these to connect a VGA screen and update the BIOS:

https://pccables.com//cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Base&search=VGA_PORT_HD15F_PORT_To_IDC16

Not sure if the Ultra has the same connector on its motherboard.

After a bit of learning and trying, I am very pleased with the Unraid software and it has given my "old" Pro 6 a new and useful life managing 18TB of storage.

Edited by Supertramp
  • Like 1
On 6/6/2023 at 10:18 PM, JonathanM said:

I don't believe the motherboard in that unit would run Unraid, it came with 1GB, and I don't believe it's officially upgradeable, and even unofficially it seems the max is 2GB.

Unraid needs minimum 4GB, it's happier with 8 or more.

I have a test QNAP with only 2GB and it runs 6.12 fine. But you cannot run CA. But as it is a test machine doesn't get stressed much.

7 minutes ago, porternas said:

I have made the USB boot key, and booted into unraid

Wondering if there is anyway to write to the internal storage - Unfortunately its very small at 125mb

If you are thinking of booting from that internal storage, that won't work. Unraid must boot from that USB boot key.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, trurl said:

If you are thinking of booting from that internal storage, that won't work. Unraid must boot from that USB boot key.

Cheers, Have it running from a USB - Now to lear unraid and best practice n arrays and shares

Problem with the Readynas is that you must press the "backup" button in order to boot from a USB key

Not an issue, will just open up and jumper the button yto always be in a closed state