Disk showing 2x size, then after update disks are unmountable

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

For starters this is my first time using UNRAID and I am not very familiar with the user interface or setup process. The setup I have is a testbench that I am experimenting with before migrating all of my data/apps over. Thus far I have had two issue (likely errors on my part) the first is incorrect disk availability and the second is all disks being unmountable.

When setting up the system I installed 4x 18TB HDDs, 2x 4TB HDDs, and one 512GB NVMe drive. I set two of the 18TB disks for parity, the NVMe as a cache pool and the rest in the array. When I started the array the 2 18TB disks in the array (Disk 1 and Disk 2) were showing 36TB available and the 4TB disks (Disk 3 and Disk 4) were showing 4TB available. The total array had 80TB available. This did not seem correct to me, so I uploaded some random data to see what would happen. I set up a smb share and uploaded ~500GB of stuff. It all went into the cache pool as expected. I started the mover to see what the 18TB disks would do, and all of the data started appearing on both Disk 1 and Disk 2 with nothing on Disk 3 and Disk 4. Disk 1 and Disk 2 now reported ~35.5TB available, and browsing the disks showed all files were on both. Why is UNRAID behaving like this and would there be an issue if I uploaded more than 18TBs?

I downloaded the log files (only getting some of the syslog files, sorry) before rebooting and the problem persisted. I then checked to ensure I was on the latest version and saw I was on 6.11.5, and that 6.12.0-rc8 was available. I updated to 6.12.0-rc8 to see if this would resolve my issue. Upon rebooting and starting the array all disks are now showing as "Unmountable: Unsupported or no file system". I downloaded the log files again (getting the entire syslog this time). Do I need to format the disks after updating? Should I just revert back to version 6.11.5?

Any/all help appreciated.

-J

test-syslog-20230615-0034_AfterUpdate.zip test-diagnostics-20230614-2033_AfterUpdate.zip test-syslog-20230615-0013_BeforeUpdate.zip test-diagnostics-20230614-2011_BeforeUpdate.zip

Prior to updating the OS all disks mounted. When first setting up the array I assigned each disk then formatted. UNRAID made each disk btrfs. Was this not supposed to happen?

Is it normal for an update to cause all disks to become unmountable and require you to wipe your system everytime?

• Solution
15 minutes ago, jmillette said:

Prior to updating the OS all disks mounted.

That was a bug with v6.11, it mounted btrfs pool if assigned to the array, that no longer happens, I assume you were testing btrfs pools before and then just assigned the disks to the array without wiping the pools first. If you do that now it will require you to re-format the disks, avoiding the issues you had.

I think something is still messed up with my setup. As suggested I reformatted and I thought everything was fine until I added a few more drives. The new drives are 4TB drives and are all in the array. UNRAID formatted the new drives as xfs, and the original drives (both sizes) are still showing btrfs. Is this an issue? The xfs drives are all reporting 27GB disk usage with no files on them. Is that normal?

31 minutes ago, jmillette said:

UNRAID formatted the new drives as xfs,

It will use whatever is set in Settings -> Disk Settings, default is XFS, you ca nchange it at any time, but requires re-formatting the disk(s) and deleting all data.

32 minutes ago, jmillette said:

Is this an issue?

Nope.

32 minutes ago, jmillette said:

The xfs drives are all reporting 27GB disk usage with no files on them. Is that normal?

Yes, it's normal with XFS, filesystem overheard, the larger the disk the more you will see.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

you can change it at any time, but requires re-formatting the disk(s) and deleting all data.

Just to clarify, since re-reading my reply it may not be clear, the default filesystem will be used when you format a new disk, if you want to change the filesystem of an existing disk you must stop array, click on that disk, change fs to new one, start array and re-format (all data in that disk will be deleted).