HP Microserver Wake on Lan

TheGremlin

So I've been rocking a microserver with 3, 2tb drives for about 6 months and love it. I've modded the bios so I can eventually get a 5 drive array by using the "disc drive" sata slot. The only thing that is bugging me is the nonfunctional status of WoL. Meaning I need to keep this guy running all the time (already disabled the blue LED since my cats were fixated by it). Has anyone gotten WoL to work or do I need to put a secondary NIC in this guy. I'd like to script in a simple WoL command and shut it down properly when I turn off the computer if no other machines are powered on.

Also how much power would I need to power 5 drives (6 if I can squeeze in a cache drive). I'm considering getting one of those Picopsu units and to lower the power consumption if I need to leave this guy running all the time. I'm using the WD Green drives; I'm just looking for a ball park number.

I would just leave it 24x7 personally.

It draws so little power. that it the beauty of that server.

You might want to up the ram a little and turn on Cache_Dirs to save a little more juice when you are file browsing.

It is those big honking 24 drive Norcos that eat all the electricity.. Grrr.

Trust me.. i have thought many many times about getting a microserver with 5 3TB drives in it just for my 24x7 media server. I just dont think 15TB will be enough room.

Archived