how to treat shares when re-assigning all disks?

Hello,

I am going to remove a drive from my array.  I copied all the data from it to a new disk (already in the array) and will now un-assign it remove it from the array.

Over the years, I have removed and added many drives and the disk numbers are really fragmented so I would like reassign all the disks in numerical order before I rebuild the parity.

I currently have only two top-level shares: Backup and Videos.  Of course, they are defined using the current disk numbers.  After I do the New Config, I will re-assign all the disks and so I need to reassign which disks are included in the Shares definitions.

Now, I have never "redefined" a share before.  I know that a share must have no data in it before it can be deleted, so  I can't just delete the shares.

So, should I just leave the share definitions as is?  Will they have the same include/excluded disks after the new config reboot?

Or shoud I delete all the "Included disk(s)" numbers before the "new config" and then change these numbers to the correct disk numbers after the restart?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

After the New Config then the Include/Exclude settings for the shares remain unchanged.   It is up to you to adjust them to match the new disk numbers.   Note that this setting only applies to where new files are placed - any files belonging to a share are found for read purposes regardless of which array drive or pool they are located on.