Advice on best 16+ drive case for Unraid use

Johnny T

Hoping you can help. I converted an old PC case to an Unraid server a couple of years ago and I've got the "data hoarding" bug. 

I'm already up to 87Tb in my old Stormtrooper case. 

I really want to upgrade to a rack mounted case. 

Looked at a Supermicro CSE 846 but wondered if there's something else more suited?

I want to use the server for all the 'arrs and as a NAS for everyone in the house. But I'd also like to be able to run VMs. So it need to be able to take whatever mobo, gfx card etc that I'd need for this (it will be the subject of a follow up question I'm sure).

I would like a minimum of 16 bays but 24 would be good. Money isn't the major driver as I've sold some stuff to get some free cash for this. 

I read that a 24 bay 4U case is better than a 36 bay case because you can also fit a gfx card into it?

I'd quite like to just buy the case and then build it myself if it's doable for a beginner as it would be good to learn?

I'm not bothered about noise or power as it's going into the attic and I'm at the later (and lucky) stage of life where I've worked since I was a lad and a few quid here and there doesn't matter. 

I would love suggestions and advice on this from you. Please don't assume any knowledge. 

A big thank you for all your help. 

Yes, a 24 bay IMO is better than the 36's because you can fit a full sized GPU in them. If you get a 36 bay, 12 of the drive bays are in the back of the chassis and that puts the motherboard tray above those 12 drives therefor making the motherboard "compartment" only a 2U section. So you won't be fitting a full sized GPU in there, and you will only have a handful of options that would be worth even having in there.... 

I am telling you from experience, I bought a SuperMicro 36 bay 4U chassis and wish I would have only gotten a 24, simply because I would like to be able to fit a full sized GPU in it.

Other than that, I would highly recommend one of the SuperMicro's... I got mine from The Server Store for around $600 shipped. It has 36 hot swap bays. You can buy a barebones chassis, just the chassis with PSU's... Check em out, if you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a private message.

Edited by BennyD
32 minutes ago, BennyD said:

Yes, a 24 bay IMO is better than the 36's because you can fit a full sized GPU in them. If you get a 36 bay, 12 of the drive bays are in the back of the chassis and that puts the motherboard tray above those 12 drives therefor making the motherboard "compartment" only a 2U section. So you won't be fitting a full sized GPU in there, and you will only have a handful of options that would be worth even having in there.... 

I am telling you from experience, I bought a SuperMicro 36 bay 4U chassis and wish I would have only gotten a 24, simply because I would like to be able to fit a full sized GPU in it.

Other than that, I would highly recommend one of the SuperMicro's... I got mine from The Server Store for around $600 shipped. It has 36 hot swap bays. You can buy a barebones chassis, just the chassis with PSU's... Check em out, if you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a private message.

@BennyD thank you so much for the advice (and offer of help). I really appreciate it.

I'm thinking of getting the SM 846 then, unless you know of a better 24 bay SM alternative?

Thanks again for your help :--)

2 hours ago, BennyD said:

I'm sure the SM 846 will work out well for you. I really like their stuff. I can't think of another model that would be better, I'm a noob when it comes to actual server hardware, but the SM 846 is def a nice chassis.

Thanks. My only reservation (that I read) was that you needed to use SM motherboards etc inside their cases? Not 100% sure if this is true or not but that is a potential reservation I have. Thanks again for all your help and advice 🙂

• 2 months later...
On 6/16/2023 at 7:40 PM, Johnny T said:

Thanks. My only reservation (that I read) was that you needed to use SM motherboards etc inside their cases? Not 100% sure if this is true or not but that is a potential reservation I have. Thanks again for all your help and advice 🙂

Sorry, haven't logged in and didn't see a notification, you can use almost any motherboard in these chassis'. EATX, ATX, MATX, I think even DTX and ITX, you can put MB standoffs in a ton of places.

2 hours ago, BennyD said:

Sorry, haven't logged in and didn't see a notification, you can use almost any motherboard in these chassis'. EATX, ATX, MATX, I think even DTX and ITX, you can put MB standoffs in a ton of places.

Thanks I got sorted in the end. Got a Supermicro H11DSI with an 846 case. It's all running tickety-boo! Thanks for all your help :)

• Like 1