Disk noise every 10-15s after upgrading to 6.12

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

After upgrading to 6.12, I notice that there is this weird noise coming from the case (probably from one of the disks, not sure). I'm quite sensitive to noise and 6.11 doesn't have this problem.

Here is the video/audio: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YjXV73KZ2fB8qEWcL-p1L7u_ttEvC8s-/view?usp=sharing

For some reasons, every 10-15s the HDD led flashes and the noise happens at the same time. My setup is as followed

unraid 6.12

Parity: Seagate  iron wolf 4tb

Disk 1: Seagate  iron wolf 4tb

Disk 2: Seagate  iron wolf 4tb

Disk 3: Seagate BarraCuda Compute (SMR) 4tb

Cache: nvme 512gb

All the iron wolf disks were bought at the same time, the BarraCuda was salvaged from my old desktop. This is my first unraid setup so I am a bit clueless on how to debug this issue. Did I mess up something?

The noise seems to come from Disk 1 and/or Parity because every time it happens, from the dashboard I can see some read/write from/to Disk 1 and Parity, up to 600KB/s, and the operation only lasts for around 2-3s. There were some operations to the cache as well. 

Update 1: After stopping all docker containers, the noise was gone. Then I was trying to start containers one by one, and I have finally found the culprit. It's Plex, not sure what happens but Plex is writing to Disk 1 every 10-15s. All my docker data is in Cache, when I check Disk 1, I only see system/docker/docker.img and libvirt/libvirt.img, and there are 2 empty folders appdata and isos

Edited by laoshanlung
more details

I set the Primary Storage (of the "system" share) to "Cache", and then Secondary to None, but it seems that it can't move the files (I have also stopped all docker containers and VMs before I do that)

root@unraid-1:/mnt/cache/system/docker# ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system/docker/
total 20G
drwxr-xr-x 2 root   root   24 May 30 14:45 ./
drwxrwxrwx 4 nobody users  47 May 30 14:45 ../
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody users 20G Jun 20 04:17 docker.img
root@unraid-1:/mnt/cache/system/docker# ls -lah /mnt/cache/system/docker
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 1 root   root   0 May 30 14:45 ./
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 26 Jun 20 04:19 ../

It looks like the file is not moved, I wonder why?  And the system log doesn't say much

Jun 20 04:29:50 unraid-1 emhttpd: shcmd (355): /usr/local/sbin/mover |& logger -t move &
Jun 20 04:29:50 unraid-1 move: mover: started
Jun 20 04:29:50 unraid-1 move: mover: finished

5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

It won't move like that, secondary needs to be array, then select correct mover direction, also note that docker/VM services must be disabled first.

Ohhhh, thanks!!! but still, it's skipping the files :(

Jun 20 04:40:25 unraid-1 emhttpd: shcmd (287): /usr/local/sbin/mover |& logger -t move &
Jun 20 04:40:25 unraid-1 move: mover: started
Jun 20 04:40:25 unraid-1 move: skip: /mnt/disk1/system/docker/docker.img
Jun 20 04:40:25 unraid-1 move: skip: /mnt/disk1/system/libvirt/libvirt.img
Jun 20 04:40:25 unraid-1 move: mover: finished

1 minute ago, laoshanlung said:

Ohhhh, thanks!!! but still, it's skipping the files :(

Jun 20 04:40:25 unraid-1 emhttpd: shcmd (287): /usr/local/sbin/mover |& logger -t move &
Jun 20 04:40:25 unraid-1 move: mover: started
Jun 20 04:40:25 unraid-1 move: skip: /mnt/disk1/system/docker/docker.img
Jun 20 04:40:25 unraid-1 move: skip: /mnt/disk1/system/libvirt/libvirt.img
Jun 20 04:40:25 unraid-1 move: mover: finished

Had you stopped the docker and VM services?   They keep those files open which would stop mover from transferring them.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

Had you stopped the docker and VM services?   They keep those files open which would stop mover from transferring them.

Oh, you mean the docker service and not the docker containers, got it (I'm a bit slow :P). Yep, now it's working, the system share has been moved to Cache. I don't hear the periodic noise anymore!!!

Thank you for the support

• Like 1