PERMISSIONS woes - I'm sure you've heard it before :)

Ok folks,

I've been running 5-beta since 6 and now am at 5b11.

I'm getting all confused with this new permissions setup, I can't seem to get it to be reliable.

I followed the upgrade steps, including running the "New Permissions" script several times.

It seems like some files I can access, and others I cannot - and that seems to change.

I have created the same user I log into my desktops (win7 and Lion) with, but I always get challenged for user "nobody".

I have created my desktop's user in the unRaid user section, but I don't see where to assign them to the shares, or to have more than one user on that share?

Is there a way to simply have it work like 4.7 did, where it just left things alone? I understand you need the beefed up security for AD integration, but for those of us who are not running AD it's kind of been turned into a mess :)

I understand also that it's BETA, so I should "get what I get and don't get upset" - not upset really, just would prefer not having to PuTTY into the unRaid box everytime I need to delete something :)

Thanks!

first off, on the "settings" page, choose SMB and make sure security mode is workgroup. I also made sure the unRaid server is in the same named workgroup as all my other systems.

Now, on users page, add some "named" users.... Like your name, or Bill, or Kids... I don't like using "guest", "nobody", "user"... seems to miss up various OS'es to much,

Then, on the share page, go into the share properties, you can set share security to public, private or secure and assign permissions as needed.

My biggest thing from going from 4.7 to 5bx was to make sure that when I copy files to the system, was to copy them to the share when mapped as a user, not as "root". Else then no one can access the file until i ran the permission script again.

Hope some of this helps.

Shawn

first off, on the "settings" page, choose SMB and make sure security mode is workgroup. I also made sure the unRaid server is in the same named workgroup as all my other systems.

Now, on users page, add some "named" users.... Like your name, or Bill, or Kids... I don't like using "guest", "nobody", "user"... seems to miss up various OS'es to much,

Then, on the share page, go into the share properties, you can set share security to public, private or secure and assign permissions as needed.

My biggest thing from going from 4.7 to 5bx was to make sure that when I copy files to the system, was to copy them to the share when mapped as a user, not as "root". Else then no one can access the file until i ran the permission script again.

Hope some of this helps.

Shawn

I did try this approach, and it seems to work sometimes, but not all the time.

My question is, if all my shares are set to "Public", why do I get authentication challenges all the time?

I don't mind my shares being public, I just want to be able to access the files/folders from all the machines in the house, regardless of what user is logged on.

Under 4.7 I could do this, under 5bX I can't, even though I have them set as "Public" and visible.

km

Did you look at the main link on the new security mode for version 5 Here?

Also, here is a thread discussing similar issues with a lot of various things to try... looks like a lot of it comes down to Windows caching at times. :) I have had that issue on some of my systems as well even with all my security and access working perfectly.

Shawn

My question is, if all my shares are set to "Public", why do I get authentication challenges all the time?

I don't mind my shares being public, I just want to be able to access the files/folders from all the machines in the house, regardless of what user is logged on.

Under 4.7 I could do this, under 5bX I can't, even though I have them set as "Public" and visible.

km

Tophicles I can understand your frustration here. even I had to struggle a lot to get my user share work exactly the way I wanted to. But public was the least of my concern. It was with Secure and Private along with stupid windows "password management features" that made the whole thing complex.

With permission set to public, I am able to access all my files on all shares, with what ever login user..... I log in to my PCs in my lan. What is the message you get when you try to access shares which are set to public. Also make sure you have the same workgroup across all PCs including your Unraid.

km

Tophicles I can understand your frustration here. even I had to struggle a lot to get my user share work exactly the way I wanted to. But public was the least of my concern. It was with Secure and Private along with stupid windows "password management features" that made the whole thing complex.

With permission set to public, I am able to access all my files on all shares, with what ever login user..... I log in to my PCs in my lan. What is the message you get when you try to access shares which are set to public. Also make sure you have the same workgroup across all PCs including your Unraid.

All of my PCs (including 3 macs) are in the same workgroup. I have the shares set to "Public" but when I try to rename, cut or move a file it tells me:

PC: You do not have permission to perform this action.

MAC: You need permission from 'nobody' in order to perform this action.

On some files and folders though, this works fine... it's almost a random thing.

Ok I went in to a bit similar kind of situation as well, what I did was to go to "Utils" page and then "New Permission", put a check on "Yes I wasnt to do this" and click on start. Basically its kind of a restore to defaults for the permissions. Try........ that might solve your problem....... for "Public" access atleast ....

km

All of my PCs (including 3 macs) are in the same workgroup. I have the shares set to "Public" but when I try to rename, cut or move a file it tells me:

PC: You do not have permission to perform this action.

MAC: You need permission from 'nobody' in order to perform this action.

On some files and folders though, this works fine... it's almost a random thing.

I was having kind of the same problem... I could access everything on my server(using win7) except my TV SHOWS share.

I could access the drives containing the folders... but not the folders containing the shows.

I tried numerous times running the New Permission script on the Utilities page.  When I tried accessing the share a few hours later, I was always greeted by the "no permission thing".

I finally ran the New Permissions script on the 2 drives from the console...

Probably not the right way to do things... but it worked for me :)

Ok I went in to a bit similar kind of situation as well, what I did was to go to "Utils" page and then "New Permission", put a check on "Yes I wasnt to do this" and click on start. Basically its kind of a restore to defaults for the permissions. Try........ that might solve your problem....... for "Public" access atleast ....

I have done this several times, thinking that it may not have gotten all the files or folders.

It seems to correct things for awhile, but not permanently.

Archived