We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Adaptec ASR-71605 cache battery usage

I'm intending to buy the Adaptec ASR-71605 to swap it with my LSI 2008 HBA controller. I often see a battery in the sales pictures.

What is the point of this battery? Is it as backup for flashing firmware, so it doesn't lose power? Do I need to keep it attached while running the card during daily usage?

Can't speak specifically to that card, but typically RAID cards with batteries are there to keep power interruptions from corrupting data in flight, as they typically have a not insignificant amount of RAM on the controller for caching writes.

If the card is in IT mode and all transactions are handled by the host, I don't think it's needed. Question is, can the card really be put in IT mode, or is it always going to be "in the way" of Unraid managing the drives?

21 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Can't speak specifically to that card, but typically RAID cards with batteries are there to keep power interruptions from corrupting data in flight, as they typically have a not insignificant amount of RAM on the controller for caching writes.

If the card is in IT mode and all transactions are handled by the host, I don't think it's needed. Question is, can the card really be put in IT mode, or is it always going to be "in the way" of Unraid managing the drives?

Thank you, that makes sense! I will check whether it's in IT mode. Should be fine then.