Problem with Unraid Host of issues *Please Advise*

Go to solution Solved by Vr2Io,

Ok First off thank you for reading this (it is going to be a little long), I am looking on how best to proceed with this server.  Here is a summary of everything that has been going on. A few weeks ago the server was running rock solid no problem.  I  had a scheduled parity check to run over night.  When I woke up the server had shut down. I booted it back up and realized the settings for parity check temps were 35 (pause) and 40 (Shutdown) on the hard drives. So I figured it was the settings and rebooted it and reset the settings.  From then on I have had numerous little problems here and there. Here is a summary:

1) Unable to run a parity check since then at all it gets to 80% and pauses. If i restart it it shuts down the server. 

2) unexpectedly I will get high cpu usage that will not stop or slow down prompting me to reboot the server to calm it down. Normal operation under 15 - 20% of cpu.

3) Whenever i update a docker container it will update fine but the docker will stop and when i start it it gives me an execution error.  I have to totally shut down the server and boot it back up to get that container working again. 

4) I notice in the morning when I log into it, it would instantly take me in to the UI (accessing it on my home network never really had any lag or congestion) . Now it will sit on the login screen for about 30s then let me go in. 

5) I am just concerned with all he reboots I have to do with it, as before i nearly ran it for a year with no issues. 

Some info on the system:  I am running unraid on an old computer bought in 2010, it has a Asus Mother board and an Intel i7 processor, Nvidia Video Card, and just upgraded it to 16GB (from 12) of ram. 350W CPU.  It is running with 1 6TB Drive , and 1 6TB Parity Drive with a 250G SSD as cache. Temps on the system in the summer have been 40-43C  on the hard drives, and 35C on the cpu under idle. 50C under load. (looks normal or a little high)

I cannot tell if this is a hardware or a software problem so I do not know how to proceed. Here are my proposed solutions.

1) Retrofit the system into a better case with more airflow over the hard drives and a new cpu cooler (new thermal paste), Hard drive fans, case fans, and new 600W PSU.

2) Restore Unraid form a backup I have and move forward with that, and see if that fixes the issues. (if I do this I need to look up the procedure and how it will affect Dockers and other information etc.)

3) Scrap the whole thing and buy new hardware with a server in mind and build a new. (if I do this then I need to worry about how to load the drives already full of information into a new Unraid install)

I am posting the Diagnostics, and the Server Log, but i am assuming you wont see anything interesting in that, I have looked and others on this forum did not see anything.

Any advice would greatly help:

syslogserver.zipkrynn-diagnostics.zip

Thank you for your help.

Drezin

5 minutes ago, Drezin said:

I  had a scheduled parity check to run over night.  When I woke up the server had shut down. I booted it back up and realized the settings for parity check temps were 35 (pause) and 40 (Shutdown) on the hard drives

This is a feature of the parity check plugin (which is not a standard part of Unraid).    Have you tried switching off its features to see if it has any effect on parity checks completing?   In particular the option to shutdown the server if drives get hotter than the limits you specify as you imply you have encountered that.

Thanks for the reply, yes after the initial parity check shut down the server, i disabled all scheduled parity checks and only ran parity via console (parity.check nocorrect) I am sorry i should have made that known. Now no parity checks run unless i command it to. 

16 hours ago, Drezin said:

When I woke up the server had shut down. I booted it back up and realized the settings for parity check temps were 35 (pause) and 40 (Shutdown) on the hard drives. So I figured it was the settings and rebooted it and reset the settings.  From then on I have had numerous little problems here and there. Here is a summary:

I doubt temperature were cause, my system even run at 40c+ case temp and 56c harddisk with workload.

16 hours ago, Drezin said:

I am running unraid on an old computer bought in 2010

Option 3, recommend. 

Edited by Vr2Io

Thanks @Vr2Io

I was hoping to not be so nuclear, but you might be right. I wonder if anyone else has any other input.  I would ask how does an existing installation of unraid handle being thrown into new hardware?  Would it boot up with the new hardware? Give me an error?  What prep would I  need to do?  Does anyone have a guide of having gone through this before?

Thanks again for the help.

Drezin

• Solution

Unraid OS usually work well with different hardware, just set not auto start array, backup USB stick by build-in backup function, then booting in new hardware and check does all storage device correctly detect and go on.

I further check  i7-4790S, it have iGPU and quicksync, would you really need Nvidia GPU ?

The other solution is buy a new 8 series mobo and give 2nd life for i7-4790S ( China have those 8 series new mobo very cheap ( less then 50usd ), dual LAN and support NVMe booting ( although you don't need that for Unraid ), build to ITX and SFX PSU and make it as small footprint as possible. I have buy one for a friend too, so far so good. ( But wrong BIOS setting will need CMOS reset )

You don't need 600w PSU, my 9700K build just use a 300w SFX PSU.

image.thumb.png.c43d558c492304a442371351c8479fe1.png

Or This one in Amazon ( but not support PCIe NVMe and single LAN ), size are DTX ( between ITX and mATX ), Cooler master NR200P support this mobo and max with two 3.5HDD.

https://www.amazon.com/MACHINIST-Motherboard-H81-Processor-H81M-PRO/dp/B09DVCV3LT

image.thumb.png.c9af0d23b269948ba2fa12a503d04976.png

Edited by Vr2Io

Thank you again,

I really like the idea of that mother board and rebuilding this thing. I think i will go with the new MOBO and a new case with proper cooling and call it a day.  Having a personal server has really been awesome for my family, they basically rely on it now, and it has become an essential friend. They cannot see life without one at this point. 

By the way I think I figured out the problem with the parity check.  I booted it up into safe mode and it ran through a full check no problems.  This leads me to the believing the parity check plugin was the culprit. I will be uninstalling that soon. Anyways thank you again for the help.