Getting Out of memory errors caused by avahi-daemon

I recently installed "Fix Common Problems" and noticed I'm getting errors. Looking at logs I see "kernel: Out of memory: Killed process avahi-daemon"

So I don't know if this just started or if I'm just noticing now that I have the FCP plugin installed.

Is this a known issue or does anyone know a fix?

Thanks, trying that and still can't narrow it down. It seems random. 

It seems AVAHI-DAEMON Is a Linux version of Apple's Bonjour. I just don't know what's using it or if I can do anything about it. I do use Apple devices so it may be needed for something. But the out of. Memory errors are an issue

AVAHI will make it possible to access the server using tower.local, it allows mDNS being used to resolve that name from Windows also, but if you don't need and it's causing issues you can disable it manually but editing /boot/config/share.cfg and setting shareAvahiEnabled="no", then reboot.

On 7/11/2023 at 8:10 PM, shaunvis said:

I recently installed "Fix Common Problems" and noticed I'm getting errors. Looking at logs I see "kernel: Out of memory: Killed process avahi-daemon"

So I don't know if this just started or if I'm just noticing now that I have the FCP plugin installed.

Is this a known issue or does anyone know a fix?

Note that this does not necessarily mean that it is that process that caused the issue - just that it was the one chosen to be killed.

I'd agree but it's that process every time. Several times a day. And I saw in the logs where that process was using about 57GB of RAM right before it was killed.

I tried running with no dockers and still got it. Running in safe mode it doesn't happen. Trying to look into plugins now

With plugins enabled I get this. 

avahi-daemon invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x140dca(GFP_HIGHUSER_MOVABLE|__GFP_COMP|__GFP_ZERO), order=0, oom_score_adj=0

CPU: 12 PID: 10357 Comm: avahi-daemon Tainted: P O 5.19.17-Unraid #2

Call Trace:

<TASK>

dump_stack_lvl+0x44/0x5c Jul 13 08:57:28

dump_header+0x4a/0x1ff Jul 13 08:57:28

oom_kill_process+0x80/0x111

out_of_memory+0x3e8/0x41a

oom-kill:constraint=CONSTRAINT_NONE,nodemask=(null),cpuset=/,mems_allowed=0-1,global_oom,task_memcg=/,task=avahi-daemon,pid=10357,uid=61

Out of memory: Killed process 10357 (avahi-daemon) total-vm:62433044kB, anon-rss:62427840kB, file-rss:4kB, shmem-rss:2972kB, UID:61 pgtables:122208kB oom_score_adj:0

oom_reaper: reaped process 10357 (avahi-daemon), now anon-rss:0kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:0kB

avahi-dnsconfd[10366]: read(): EOF

• 3 months later...