We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Docker app causes array to spin up every hour

A docker based app is causing the array to spin up once every hour.  If I stop or pause this specific docker app then the hourly array spin up doesn't occur.  It stores data in /mnt/user/appdata/<docker_app_dir> and the appdata share cache setting is "yes".

I just need to figure out how to use / configure unraid to prevent these hourly spin-ups.  Any ideas on configuration settings, which cache folder etc. I should try? 

Edited by mainart1955
clarification
On 7/12/2023 at 7:47 AM, mainart1955 said:

It stores data in /mnt/user/appdata/<docker_app_dir> and the appdata share cache setting is "yes".

Read the help description on the cache share settings. "yes" means write new files to the specified pool, and move them to the array on schedule. You want "prefer", so the data is written to the pool and stays there. You will probably need to disable the docker service (NOT JUST STOP ALL THE CONTAINERS) then run the mover manually after changing the setting.

On 7/15/2023 at 1:11 PM, JonathanM said:

Read the help description on the cache share settings. "yes" means write new files to the specified pool, and move them to the array on schedule. You want "prefer", so the data is written to the pool and stays there. You will probably need to disable the docker service (NOT JUST STOP ALL THE CONTAINERS) then run the mover manually after changing the setting.

Okay, checking some of the docs answers some questions but raises some others.  From what I understand files in unraid should exist on either the cache or the array (but usually not both).  The "prefer" setting means, as long as there is room on the cache, the data will only be on the cache, and that should stop the array from spinning up.  Does all this sound correct so far?  

The question raised is how do you get data stored on a cache (with prefer or only setting) copied to the array as a "back up"?  For example it seems like the "appdata" share holds some important data that needs to be protected if (when) the cache drive fails.   It would be desirable if unraid had a "mirror" or "write-through" setting where data would be written to the cache but also to the array and when read it would only need to read from the cache.  

Thanks - and if you think I'm still not understanding some of this, please point to some sections or things I can search for in the documentation. 

18 minutes ago, mainart1955 said:

The question raised is how do you get data stored on a cache (with prefer or only setting) copied to the array as a "back up"?  For example it seems like the "appdata" share holds some important data that needs to be protected if (when) the cache drive fails. 

The standard way at the moment is to use the Appdata backup plugin.