Two HDDs Failure and Read Errors - parity check

Hi Unraid community,

I'm reaching out to you for assistance with a critical issue I encountered this morning. In my setup, which consists of an LSI 9201-16i RAID controller and an Inter Tech 4U-4416 enclosure, two adjacent HDDs have failed with error messages. Interestingly, there are no SMART errors reported.

My suspicion is that these failures could be related to read errors, but I'm uncertain about the underlying cause. I would greatly appreciate your insights and experiences to help me determine the best course of action in this situation.

Here are the steps I've taken so far:

• Checked the connections between the faulty hard drives and the RAID controller to ensure they are secure.

Since the two affected drives are positioned next to each other on the backplane, there may be a correlation between the errors. It is possible that there is an issue with the backplane itself or another factor that is impacting both drives.

I would like to mention that a parity check is scheduled to run every Monday at 00:00 AM, and it was only a few minutes after starting the check that these errors occurred. This timing might provide some additional context.

Now, I'm faced with a decision on how to proceed. Should I attempt to recover the data from the damaged drives or replace them with new ones? What additional steps would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your assistance, and I look forward to your feedback and advice.

Best

unraid-diagnostics-20230717-0817.zip

I have examined the cables and everything appears to be normal. Could the issue possibly be related to the controller or the power supply?

Furthermore, I would like to know if it is possible to reintegrate the HDDs marked as failed back into the array without performing a Parity Rebuild. If that's not possible, should I initiate the recovery process for both HDDs simultaneously or one after the other?

40 minutes ago, Cout99 said:

Could the issue possibly be related to the controller or the power supply?

I would definitely be suspicious of the power supply as starting up a parity check is likely to be a time there is maximum current draw on the power supply.   It could also happen at that time if the PSU is OK, but there is anything wrong with the cabling to it such as too many drives on one cable, or too many splitter cables to get the required number of drive connections.