Check parity after adding another disk?

T800

Correct me if i am wrong.

One of the key points of the preclear was so that a parity check is not needed. the flag says "hey i'm all zeros, just add that to your database."

I'm not talking him out of it. safe then sorry is always good.

but it is optional at this point.

One of the key points of the preclear was so that a parity check is not needed. the flag says "hey i'm all zeros, just add that to your database."

No, the point of preclear is that there is no length downtime because a non-cleared disk is added into the array.  If you do not preclear, unRAID will write zeros to the entire drive AND keep the array offline while it does this.

No, the point of preclear is that there is no length downtime because a non-cleared disk is added into the array.  If you do not preclear, unRAID will write zeros to the entire drive AND keep the array offline while it does this.

I knew that part.

thanks.. :D

I knew that part.

I guess I never looked at the parity check as a problem.  My main focus of preclear was that the array was not offline for any more time then it took to format the new drive once it was added to the array.

A parity check/verify is peanuts to me as I just set it and forget it for the most part.  Hell, most of the time I forget I have party check scheduled for the first of every month.  Then I start getting an email or two about a disk temp being a degree about the threshold that I set.

I knew that part.

I guess I never looked at the parity check as a problem.  My main focus of preclear was that the array was not offline for any more time then it took to format the new drive once it was added to the array.

A parity check/verify is peanuts to me as I just set it and forget it for the most part.  Hell, most of the time I forget I have party check scheduled for the first of every month.  Then I start getting an email or two about a disk temp being a degree about the threshold that I set.

because i have been doing so much testing on stuff and rebuilds. i am doing a parity check every few days it seems..

Archived