how does unraid determine when a drive is failed?

image.png.dab92026a4984260951e5f4a39990a6b.png

my initial batch of drives when I first started home labbing started to fail one by one, which is terrifying but also cool to finally see how unraid handles it. What I don't seem to understand though, is that if I plug the drive into a windows machine, it seems to be overall working fine after reformatting it. So how does unraid determine when a drive is dead? is there any early signs that I can look for?

8 hours ago, binzhu1070 said:

image.png.dab92026a4984260951e5f4a39990a6b.png

my initial batch of drives when I first started home labbing started to fail one by one, which is terrifying but also cool to finally see how unraid handles it. What I don't seem to understand though, is that if I plug the drive into a windows machine, it seems to be overall working fine after reformatting it. So how does unraid determine when a drive is dead? is there any early signs that I can look for?

With Unraid you need to distinguish between Failed/Dead and Disabled.  A drive being marked as disabled with a red 'x' simply means that a write to it has failed (and it is now out of step with parity if you have a parity drive(s) but does not necessarily mean it has failed as write failures can happen for lots of reasons, with the most common being issues with either the SATA or power cabling.   Normally the diagnostics taken at the time and/or the SMART reports can give a clue as to which it is.