[6.12.3] Random crashes on file transfers

Hello everyone,

i'm not sure how to diagnose my problem: My server crashes semi-randomly while doing some form of file transfer. I've had this issues through several unraid versions and even a different hardware setup which leads me to believe it's something in my config of unraid or a bug in unraid itself.

The crashes are complete, there is no interaction with the system either via web or directly possible. Only a power cycle helps.

I have more than 20 dockers, all managed by docker compose. I've experienced problems while doing heavy duty file transfers with jdownloader or sabnzbd BUT i have the same crashes while doing rsync transfers directly to the server also. I've used macvlan bridges but switched a day ago to ipvlan with the same result. The crashes happen in different ways, not depending on a specific file as far as i can see.

If i don't do large file transfers, the system can run uninterrupted for months. Then i start some backup etc. and it crashes in minutes.

The syslog shows nothing, the log just ends and then starts anew with the reboot.  I've attached the diagnostics report i've just created.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

xtower-diagnostics-20230725-2246.zip

Edited by xxlbug
updated unraid version in title after recent 6.12.3 update

Just had the exact same issue: Running a ton of dockers on an custom ipvlan since the restart yesterday. what "broke the camels back" was an rsync transfer with over 20gb transferred and then unraid just went down, no network, no keyboard input possible etc.

I've put the new diagnostics file into this post also.

rsync screenshot when it stopped

image.png.948d064c184a8c020303cae69ce7a4e7.png

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

xtower-diagnostics-20230727-2202.zip

On 7/27/2023 at 11:35 PM, Vr2Io said:

Always try memory test first or try slow down the memory freq.

Thank you for the input, running it right now.

It crashed this morning again on an rsync transfer. I stopped all dockers, but i'm not sure if the ipvlan still could be a problem source because i didn't disabled docker totally.

Let's see after the memtest.

Ok, next diagnosis:

1. booted up unraid
  2. (array not started) deactivated docker
  3. start array
  4. cancel parity check
  5. started rsync with transfer from remote machine to unraid

Result = crash again:

image.png.c76d292b66f49ca5ff02bba0ca758dd3.png

I've created a new diagnostics file also, maybe someone can see something i've overlooked.

xtower-diagnostics-20230731-1138.zip

Edit:

added the syslog file, more info can't be wrongsyslog

- latest crash happend between 09:08 and 11:00 am today, but the log just ends on 09:08 am and starts when i power cycled the machine through ipmi. no error anywhere.

Edited by xxlbug
  • xxlbug changed the title to [6.12.3] Random crashes on file transfers