how to move files/directories between array disks with command line [SOLVED]

hi,

i wan't to move (or copy! and deleting manually - i want the safest way!!!) entire directory (with all the content inside the directory) from disk1 to disk2. it takes WAAAAY too much time to copy when connected to the tower thru the Mac (10 hours for 250 GB!!! i copy from external-usb drive to tower (thru mac) twice as fast!).

anyway i'd like to know is there a way to do it with command line directly.

i was playing around with commands i know (cd, cp) but with no success. (btw - I'm not lazy - i did search the net for linux commands! i know how to change directories! i don't know how to go from disk1 to disk2 !!! I'm stuck in root directory)

Thanks

If you are doing this via telnet, install 'screen' from unMenu first.  Then telnet into your server and run screen.  Screen lets you use your FKeys and such in the telnet window.

Then use Midnight Commander (mc).

In the left window, go to mnt, then disk1.  Hit TAB to go to the right window.  There go to mnt, then disk2.

TAB back to the left window, select the files to copy and hit F6.  You can keep the date/time info when copying.

There are more excellent how-to's using MC (http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Transferring_Files_Within_the_unRAID_Server), but this is what I've been doing.  It reminds me of XTree pro (showing my age).

Remember if you telnet in and use screen, you have to 'exit' twice to log off.

If not using telnet (right on the server), just use MC.

IT WORKED! ha ha!

Thanks man!!

i did it via command prompt though... something weird when downloading packages for unmenu :-/ for the time of download i can't log on or refresh (sometimes for minutes) the unmenu (via browser). but it's cool! I'm starting to like command lining! hope one day ill be able to do stuff without googling everything.

will check the screen as well.

Thanks again!

IT WORKED! ha ha!

Thanks man!!

i did it via command prompt though... something weird when downloading packages for unmenu :-/ for the time of download i can't log on or refresh (sometimes for minutes) the unmenu (via browser). but it's cool! I'm starting to like command lining! hope one day ill be able to do stuff without googling everything.

Thanks again!

unMENU is not using a real web-server.  It is using an "awk" script that is pretending to be a web-server.  It has a limitation in that it can only handle one request at a time.  While it is servicing that request, it is unable to service any others.

IT WORKED! ha ha!

Thanks man!!

Thanks again!

unMENU is not using a real web-server.  It is using an "awk" script that is pretending to be a web-server.  It has a limitation in that it can only handle one request at a time.  While it is servicing that request, it is unable to service any others.

What Joe L is saying is that if you refresh the page after you have already pressed a button is that you will kill unMenu.

Be patient and let it do it's thing.

Archived